Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

next car seat?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 12:27 AM
  • 8 Replies

my son is 4months old and still in the infant seat....but what car seat do i have to get next? theres soooo many idk what im doing!! and we will probably need one soon he is getting tall so fast!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Silvermoon2386
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM

He legally has to stay in a rear facing car seat until he is 1 year old. After that he needs a front facing car seat until he hits certain age/weight requirements, then a booster seat until he hits a new set of age/weight requirements. It varies by state. This site is updated often and lists all of the requirements by state.

http://elitecarseats.com/child-car-seat-laws-state/

Also, if you need more help your local fire department is trained on child restraint laws.

teenamarie21
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 12:49 AM

yeah thanks, im aware of the laws. im wondering specifically as far as going from like an infant to another infant with a bigger weight? what brands? things like this..

Quoting Silvermoon2386:

He legally has to stay in a rear facing car seat until he is 1 year old. After that he needs a front facing car seat until he hits certain age/weight requirements, then a booster seat until he hits a new set of age/weight requirements. It varies by state. This site is updated often and lists all of the requirements by state.

http://elitecarseats.com/child-car-seat-laws-state/

Also, if you need more help your local fire department is trained on child restraint laws.

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2011 at 8:40 AM
Most infant carriers only go to 22-30 lbs. If he's still under a year and has outgrown the infant carrier (either by weight or length) you would need a convertible seat. Those can be used rear facing or forward facing. If he is old enough when he outgrows the infant carrier you can either get a convertible seat or a booster with a 5 point harness. You'll need a seat with a 5 point harness until he's about 4 years old. After that, a high back booster is the seat you'd go with. Hope that helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 8, 2011 at 9:47 AM
He can stay in the infant seat until he has reached the weight limit. Or until he is 1 inch from the top.

I switched my dd to a convertible from an infant seat over the summer. Though she is still in the weight/ height requirements for our seat at 20 lbs and 32 in.
Anyways...
Just go to target or babies r us and stick him in seats and see what feels good. If you hold out until next month Target will clearance a lot of their baby stuff for the new lines. You can get a car seat for between 30-75% off.

This is what we are using, she is RF and 14 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM

BUMP

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I put both my kids (rear facing, of course) in a convertible car  seat at about 8 months. We got Landon an Evenflo brand and Lexi's is a Cosco.

*ETA: My husband picked out Lexi's car seat while he was out getting stuff for a trip. If I'd had my choice I'd have gotten the Graco Air Nautulis.

Click on me to see what it's all about!

rissarin
by Member on Dec. 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM
We started using the MyRide 65 at about 8 months. Never a regret with this seat!

Also, the ladies in the car seat group are very educated on seats! If you need/want more help, they're amazing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a convertible seat. One that will allow you to rear face the seat to max. weight/height and then also be allowed to flip forward facing when the child has outgrown it rear facing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)