Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Working Moms Are Way More Stressed Than Working Dads

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 2:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - Do you agree?

Working Moms Are Way More Stressed Than Working Dads

Posted by Stacey Rivera
on December 7, 2011

Even though I am a working mom, I don't automatically assume that I am more stressed out than a stay-at-home mom. I do, however, know that I am way more stressed out than my partner (let's call him John, because that is his name). We both work and we have daycare covered and we are financially fine, but while I have turned into a whirling dervish of tension, he has turned into a TV junkie. I resent this to a degree that I am ashamed to admit -- most because I miss my TV!

So it turns out this is not just me. According to a recent study, working moms spend 10.5 hours more than working dads doing things for the family and that work tends to happen during what they are calling "the arsenic hours" of 5 p.m to 8 p.m., when working moms are trying to finish up at work and start the work at home. Oh and squeeze in a commute. So yes, they report more stress.

Here is what I can report:

John works five minutes from the house and from home two days a week. I have an hour commute each way. Most days it means that both John and baby are asleep when I leave, and like yesterday -- my birthday! -- I see neither of them before I go. The stress starts there as my 15-month-old doesn't even see me most days -- I don't feel guilty about that at all, not one bit. And people don’t judge me about that. Nope. And it doesn’t cause my hair to be in a constant state of rat's nest. No sir.

Then the questions start about dinner and logistics around 4 or 5. I am scrambling to get out of the office and fight the traffic -- all the while my hair is getting crazier and my shoulders are getting tighter. And I get home and feed us all and try very hard to talk to both my child and the man I chose to have dinner with every night of my life. And then insert crushing to-do list here. We play for a little while and I try to teach the baby something, anything, cause I am supposed to teach him stuff, right (right?), and then it’s bath and bedtime.

Here is where the real stress begins because I won’t give up bedtime (as it is the only time I actually see this child), but that means John walks happily downstairs to watch American Trash Pickers or War for Other People’s Junk or Scary Pawn Shop and relax while I DON’T GET TO!

Seriously. There was even a question who is more stressed? Money was wasted on a study? He slept later, he commuted less, he got fed. And he gets to watch TV -- something he did very rarely pre-child but I did like it was my job. He’s very involved, he’s very busy, he has a stressful job -- I get it, he needs to decompress. I don’t begrudge him that. But yeah, working moms are more stressed than working dads.

Are you more stressed than your partner? Are the hours of 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. hard at your house?

by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Both of us are stressed.

wreath     

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I'm a SAHM so I know my dh is more stressed than me. I have 1 dd and I know how to pick my battles. lol

Bluetick
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 3:24 PM
W out a doubt im more stressed than dh we have a 11dd a 3dd a 1ds im president of the pta do all the home chores take care of my grandma and grandpa and i work so yes i freely admit im more stressed than him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Dec. 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM
I am def more stressed than my dh and we both work. I also cook, clean and take care of our daughter most the time. But he def does have his own stress as well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly1308
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I am a single working mom!!!!! I have way more stress than my ex ever did or does now.  I have our son 24 seven and work full time as a teacher.  VERY STRESSED OUT!

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM
We're both stressed...but I'm a SAHM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)