Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My Children Never Met Their Grandfather..

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM
  • 3 Replies

It's my dad's birthday today. It's been almost 9 long years since he lost his battle with cancer. My kids being only 4 and 2 have never met their grandpa, but they know who he is and what he looks like, but I can tell that they still don't understand. My son asked me today why I was so sad. I usually try to keep it together in front of my children to not worry or confuse them, so I explained to him that Mommy was just missing her dad was all and that everything is alright. But he kept pressing, wanted to know why I couldn't call him like he calls daddy when daddy's on the night shift or why couldn't I go see him and I was thankful when the dogs barked at the neighbor's coming home because it distracted him from the conversation.

Anyone else in this position, where its difficult to explain the loss of someone they've never met? I just get so tongue tied and trip over my own words. We're not an overly religious family, but we do speak of heaven, I just think they're at such a young age that they really cannont understand it.

“Speak when you are angry and you’ll make the best speech you’ll ever regret.” 
– Dr. Laurence J. Peter

- Well Wishes, MonsterNBoogie
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mrsnoble2004
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM

My children never got to meet my father either. They don't really ask me about him. I have no pictures to show them either.

MonsterNBoogie
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, especially not having pictures. I don't have many, but the few I do, I hold dearly. *Hugs*

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

My children never got to meet my father either. They don't really ask me about him. I have no pictures to show them either.

“Speak when you are angry and you’ll make the best speech you’ll ever regret.” 
– Dr. Laurence J. Peter

- Well Wishes, MonsterNBoogie
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 8, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I think 2 and 4 are just too young to understand. My dd is 9 and we lost my grandpa 5 years ago. My dd knew him and understood he was gone but we talked alot about it. He was very close to my dd and she still remembers and talks about him. different situation than yours though..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)