Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is any1 on a fixed income/low income/welfair? How do you budget..

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

hey!

Ok  well i live in Canada and for now until I enter College next year and complete it i have to live on welfair because i cant afford daycare.I'm Waiting for subsidy and ill be goign to college.

I get 480$ for child benefits 180 for a short term rent support program and 91 $ for myself,food ect...... i also get 100 a month for volunteer work.(my rent is covered) I don't plan on living on welfare forever..But in the mean time does anyone have any tips on how to make my dollar stretch. Sometimes i find myself struggling a bit. I don't smoke,drink or do drugs So my money isn't really spent irresponsible.... Is anyone feelign the same hurt on money,any tips, how do you guys save??? spend money wisely??

CeliaB

by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
armywife1229
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I think we all have to budget/save. I mean, we're all on a fixed income, usually. Pay doesn't increase that often, etc.

You could coupon, make meals from scratch, shop good deals, etc. But really, if its just food, you should be ok.

Cut out internet, cell phones, cable, extra expenses like magazines, movies, entertainment, etc.

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM
I know here they will pay for daycare if you are in school. Have you looked in to that? I'm not sure what all is offered there, but that might be a possibility.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I need to improve in this area myself.  Hope everything works out for you.  Look into getting some freebies online for shampoo, toothpaste, etc. I used to do this and it helped me some with personal supplies.

Tips at this link
http://sweatingthebigstuff.com/top-7-tips-for-creating-a-budget/

wreath     

Mom2Addison12
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I'm on welfare.

I can't say I can help you.

I used to get 157 every two wweeks, so 300 every month. And that wasn't cutting it. It got my rent paid and that was it.

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 9, 2011 at 4:41 PM

cancel everything you don't need: cable, cell, internet.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM
Couponing has really helped me. We tried getting help but they said my dh making 21,000 a year was too much! It makes me so angry that noone will help us. So, I helped myself! I cut everything we don't need and coupon like crazy! I plan our meals around what's on sale and what I have coupons on. If we want a movie night we rent from Redbox when we have a free coupon code. We eat simple, easy meals and I shop at Goodwill sometimes. Be greatful your getting help bc some people don't! I know you feel its not enough but its better than nothing! Try couponing and cutting back. You will be amazed at what you could save. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SevysMomma
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I was living on a little over 300 a month for awhile - it's since went up a bit - and I've always seemed to get by just fine. I mean technically I am living with my parents right now for personally reasons but when I was living in low-income housing they were pretty much paying me to live there. My electric/heat bill was very, very low and all I had was internet and a cheap cellphone. I bought diapers, wipes and usually an outfit and toy for DS every month, gas in my car, usually lunch out on the day I went shopping, and that is really all. And I still had money left over. I don't know if living expenses are alot cheaper here though or something? Hm. I just get what we need and pretty much nothing else.

I also have been interested in couponing, I tried with my mom a few times but we haven't really got anything good yet. But it is always a good idea to start! :)

MacIvormom3
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 3:31 PM

im in canada to. couponing isnt really an option for  us like itisin the states. go to the food bank, see if there is a good food box program in your area where you can buy discounted produce. buy meat from farmers. buy toilitries ect from dollarama. see if someone can give you cloth diapers and use those. dont waste food. buy used or borrow. join the library for movie rentals ect. dont go out, it costs money and if you do go out learn to eat from the dollar menu. a bus pass is cheaper then a car. I would say if your rent is covered and you get that much CTB ect that you should be fine. lean to bake and dont buy convience foods. What part of canada do you live in? we are in northern AB and there is like NOTHING here for low income families. is income support paying for your schooling? if you have not gone to college before then income support (welfare) will pay to train you. look into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)