Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

how do you deal with it???

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM
  • 39 Replies
Seperation anxiety????Dd's 5 you would think she's over.it but I am a sahm and everytime I leave to go some where she cries:(?? like tonight I had a apt and then was gonna go tanning she makes me feel bad and cries and says mama dont go tanning come home I'll miss you......What do I do???She loves daddy I'm not sure what to think
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pammi86
by Pamela on Dec. 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM
Sorry momma! My dd is only 7 months but when I leave her with my mom to go to work she does sometimes cry. I feel bad but we all have to do what's best!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2011 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk what to tell you either. My 5 year old is always glad to get rid of me. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 27, 2011 at 7:56 PM
My 6 year old didn't quit doing that until he started school this fall.

I have no advice for you though. He almost always cried or got upset. And I felt guilty every dang time! Sometimes there is no other choice. And sometimes you just NEED away!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 27, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I never had to deal with that so I'm no help sorry.

blessedfamily06
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 10:53 PM
Thanks daddy said she was ok once I left

Quoting splatz:

My 6 year old didn't quit doing that until he started school this fall.

I have no advice for you though. He almost always cried or got upset. And I felt guilty every dang time! Sometimes there is no other choice. And sometimes you just NEED away!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peachesforme
by Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm a prek teacher, I teach 4 and 5 year olds.  Once she gets into kindergarten she will have to adjust.  After a few days, weeks, or sometimes, months, kids DO get used to it.  Some kids it takes longer than others.  But they all realize that mom will always come back to get them.  Just my opinion, I think it's good for them to learn more independence from mommy.  They learn to handle some of their own problems on their own, and with peers, without relying on you constantly.  That's just my opinion.  I've had a few children come to school who sat there and waited for me, their teacher, to feed them at lunch time because their moms would baby them.  Um, no, you have to pick up your own fork and feed yourself!  They aren't babies anymore at 5 years old!  

strungoutmom
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I started leaving my girls at home with different family members and close friends when they were just babies so really did not have that problem to much.  Once in awhile I would though, so before I left I would let them know what was going on, where I was going and why. Then I let them know who was coming over to watch them, and what things they will be doing while I was gone. I usually had a few activities that they only did when I was gone and no other time. This way they had something to look forward to when I was out for a few hours.  And it depened on who watched them.  They sometimes cried for a few minutes but that is about all it took.  After they were reassured they were fine and I would be back soon, they settled down and  got busy with thier activity for the day, or just playing outside.  I had a high school girl who used to watch them for me when I just needed a break and she was always bringing over some sort of fun craft for them to do, books, movies ect. At first they were not sure of her but after a few days they could not wait for her to come and babysit for them.  just give it sometime and she will adjust. When she calls you to ask if you can come home now, just tell her you will be home in a bit and that you have things to do and when I am on my way home I will give you a call.  I did this exact samething to my girls and they were fine with that.  Give it a try and see if any of these suggestions wrk for you.

allornone
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:17 AM

My dd is five and has suffered from separation anxiety since she was a newborn.  She is much better now. Last year we did a co-op for two hours a day just so she would know I would come back.  I am very blessed that my dd never had a problem with being left with dh.  Maybe try once a week on the same day at the same time going for just an hour kind of a routine. If she makes herself physically sick because of the stress talk to your pediatrician.  It will get better I promise.

Debalexxa
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 1:52 AM

my dd 4 is glued to my hip....everytime I walk out the door without her the tears begin....but quickly stop and she is fine and I know that I went back to work full time when she was 2 months old but since the birth of my 2 year old I have been a sahm....I fear kindergarden but I know she will adjust I have been trying to leave more without her just so she can get used to being without me...she has no problem going with her aunts and when she is ready to come home she lets them know its just me walking out the door without her ....we will both adjust soon cause we will have no choice :) 

littlemonaghan
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 3:33 AM

This is still normal behavior for a 5 year old. I am a preschool teacher and my 4/5 year olds still sometimes have seperation anxiety when it is time for mommy or daddy to leave, even if they are more than comfortable at school. Once they get involved in an activity they are completley fine. Just tell her you'll be back soon and suggest an activity that she can do with daddy while your gone and then leave. It will be hard for you, but really she will be okay. She'll eventually out grow it and you'll be wishing she still wanted you around. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN