Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

how do you deal with it???

Seperation anxiety????Dd's 5 you would think she's over.it but I am a sahm and everytime I leave to go some where she cries:(?? like tonight I had a apt and then was gonna go tanning she makes me feel bad and cries and says mama dont go tanning come home I'll miss you......What do I do???She loves daddy I'm not sure what to think
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM
Replies (31-39):
CMay2CK
by Member on Dec. 30, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Quoting littlemonaghan:

This is still normal behavior for a 5 year old. I am a preschool teacher and my 4/5 year olds still sometimes have seperation anxiety when it is time for mommy or daddy to leave, even if they are more than comfortable at school. Once they get involved in an activity they are completley fine. Just tell her you'll be back soon and suggest an activity that she can do with daddy while your gone and then leave. It will be hard for you, but really she will be okay. She'll eventually out grow it and you'll be wishing she still wanted you around. lol

I totally agree. My five year old adores his father, but once in awhile, DH has to physically pull our son away from me. He's absolutely okay once I leave, as long as I tell him I am leaving and that it is a grownup thing. I tried to sneak away once. DS cried the entire time I was gone. I do not recommend it LOL.
mommy2cristian
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I think every kid is different.  My 5yo was kind of the same way.  He would go to my mom's & be with his dad with very little problems but he's really shy, gets embarassed easily, doesn't like to be touched that often, & just felt uncomfortable.  I think he had Separation Anxiety Disorder because he seemed to get worse instead of better.  Anyway, when he started school the teacher allowed a friend to be with him & once the teacher wanted her to stop going my son missed almost 2 weeks of school.  We finally had a weaning schedule put in place & now he's fine for the most part.  I still walk him to class & go everyday for lunch because he wants me to & I don't mind since I miss him a little.  But when I'm late he & his friend sit down together and eat.  My point is you know your child best & although mine had been going to my mom's since he was a baby there are still times he doesn't want to go and he still had issues with school.  Time will tell. 

FFCMom
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

No I think it takes them awhile to grw out of it!! And truly never do, I am a SAHM as well, my 2 yr old will freak out some days, and others tell me be careful!! Lol I hardly go anywhere so I feel bad too, but the trick is to keep them busy, and assure them you will be back!! They usually do fine when you are gone, just remind them they will be ok!!

Barcloff17
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM
Try to help her get over this by going on a trip for about a week or so and leave her with a fun relative so that she can see she doesnt always need her mom
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Dec. 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I guess I'm lucky. My girls have never had a problem with being left at school, with daddy, or with grandma.

evillette
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM

You just have to get whoever is watching her to take her mind off  of it. If its dad have him set up a craft or a game that they can play as soon as your out the door. Small kids usually have short span of attention and if someone keeps her occupided for a while she will forget all about you...In a good way lol. 

An exciting lover, mother of twins Wayde and Tatum, stepmom to Madison and a birthmother with an open adoption plan. 

aidensmama721
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM

lol no my son is 7 and loves his dad too but sometimes he will scream about me "leaving" him

LovelyLauren55
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 3:57 AM
My kids never really went thru this, but here is a bump :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cwhit210
by New Member on Dec. 31, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Still when she is not at school how often is she with you instead of being around other people or children

Quoting blessedfamily06:

But she is In kindergarten full time

Quoting Cwhit210:

she sounds sheltered to me like she is only with you for the most part sounds like she needs socialization

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)