Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

when to take away the pacifier? ADVICE

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter is 18months and i was woundering when a good time to get rid of the binky was? She only gets it when she naps or at night at bed. I have tried to just take it but she will not sleep she screams in bed for hours. She is teething really bad. Her Doctor said he sees no issue with it right now as long as i dont dip it in sweets or juice . just give it to her plane. But she has been teething really bad latley n cranky. I have tried orijel and motrin but she hates the orijel but the motrin does help but she still wants the binky she is also chewing her fingures not sucking it just chew. 

any advice i dont want my daughter to have it for a long time bc i know its hard to get rid of them. I didnt want to give her it at all but my SO gave it to her when she was tiny.

by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 30, 2011 at 11:17 AM
I broke my ds of his right before he turned two. Which was right around the time he got 6 stitches in his eyelid. While they were giving him the stitches they asked if he had one to help calm him. He was about 2.5 by the time it was gone after that. :/

Dd has been down to only nap/bed and long car rides since a year. I need to break her soon..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM
Right around 2 is a pretty acceptable age. They're old enough to understand a few different ways to convince them it's time for it to go. Like for instance, you could package them all up (with her help) and tell her you're mailing them to a baby who doesn't have any pacifiers. Or if you know someone expecting, have her help you wrap them up for a present for the new baby. Obviously thee new mom doesn't have to use them, you could explain in advance what you're doing. You can also plant a "paci" tree. Bury all the pacifiers in the yard, but slip a seed for something in the hole too.

PS, I would suggest discontinuing the Orajel. It actually makes teething worse cuz it toughens up the gums and makes it harder for the teeth to pop through. Try Hyland's Teething Tablets. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Idk. My dd never used 1.

USAFamily
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd was 3 and I never thought it was a huge deal. It wasn't affecting her teeth or anything. On her third bray she got a letter from the paci fairy saying 'congratulations, you are s big girl now! You don't need a pacifier because you are all big! Have a happy birthday!' It was on colorgul paper and I put glitter on it. And I threw away all her paci's before she got up. It was no big deal and tear free :) good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jts123fisher
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:34 PM
All 3 of my kids were about 12 months old when I took paci's away. I took that away and handed them a sippy cup. And they did great overall. The first few days (maybe like 5 days) were pretty tough, but they adjusted. One advice is to take the paci completely away, "out of sight, out of mind." However, this is just my opinion, not alot of people like my way of doing things, but I never had issues with getting rid of paci's, child sleeping in own bed/room, getting rid of sippy cups, etc. Hope it works well for you!
candimalice
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:37 PM
I don't know as mine never got one, but my sister broke my nephew when he had teeth and she got worried about him chewing it and choking on it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM
Lucky me! My dd is only 7 months and was never interested in the paci so I never have to go through this! But I have been told the best way is just give it to them during nap and bedtime and slowly start taking it away and limiting it. Soon enough they should be broke! However, I'm sure its easier said then done! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissyB1011
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM

My DD was very easy to break from her bink. She was around 20 months and just got her first teeth. My parents took her to Build A Bear. She picked out the giraffe and named him Binky. In order to get Binky she had to give her binky to the salesgirl. My parents let the salesgirl know what was going on and she went along with them. While they were gone, hubby and I got rid of all binkies in the house. She never looked back.

allornone
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Bash away, bash away...My youngest dd was almost 2 1/2. Her speech was perfect, she was potty trained and everything.  She made all of her milestones.  We moved when she turned two and she only used her bink when she went to bed.  It didn't bother me. We tried to throw them away.  On trick is to poke a hole in the nipple so they do not want it. Well she did that her self. She had back up binks in both hands and one in the mouth at all times.  Finally one day she put her binks in her purse and nail polish dumped on them.  I told her that they were no good. She smelled them and dumped them in the trash. End of binks :)

LovelyLauren55
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 4:01 AM
Bump, I'm a horrible person to ask, both my kids had then til around age 3 :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN