Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My son wants his father for his b-day, but his father is in the military. HELP

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 1:52 AM
  • 69 Replies

Ok, so here's the thing. I'm 17 years old with a 2 year old son. I'm pregant with my second child. My son, James, has been asking about his father, Jonathon. Me and the father have been in an on/off relationship. Jonathon is 22 years old and is in the army. I tell James that his dad saves lives and his helping us live better, and to do that he can't be with us all the time. Me and Jonathon have been writing to eachother, and I've told him that all James' wants for his birthday is to see his dad. I dont know how to make James understand that his dad can't come home when he wants him to. Please give me some tips on how to tell James that his dad may not be home for his birthday!

Thanks Moms! I went through the replies to this and was super surprised to see how many I got back. Thanks for all the suggestions, we are definitely going to use skype. James will have a daddy doll for his birthday. I talked to his dad, and he will be able to make it home soon, even though it's after James' birthday. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovelyLauren55
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 3:50 AM
Sounds like you've tried, he may not understand bc he is so young, just try to make the best of the day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 31, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I agree with Lauren.

Quoting LovelyLauren55:

Sounds like you've tried, he may not understand bc he is so young, just try to make the best of the day

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 31, 2011 at 3:18 PM
4 moms liked this
I agree with the other ladies. But can he call him on his birthday and/or Skype with him? That may help him feel better that Daddy can't actually be there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Dec. 31, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I like Sarah's idea.

skittles2011
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

when is your sons bday?

maybe you could wrap a present from his dad and have it mailed to your house or see if his dad can skype with him on his bday like the others suggested.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM
I like Sarah and skittles ideas. Is the dad deployed or stationed some where?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Skype! Its not the best but I'm sure would make him happy! Good luck momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayDziedzic
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Is there any way for you to send him one of those recordable books or picture frames, have him record his voice, and send it back? Even if it doesn't get back to your LO before his birthday, being able to hear his father's voice might help. A friend's husband, who was a Marine, recorded a special message in a uniformed Build-a-Bear before he went overseas.

LACHESIS
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Could daddy do one of those books where he records his voice reading the book?  Or write James letters? 

I am sorry he can't be home. The one thing that stinks about the military :(  

lynettemommie4
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM

think what you have done is fine. think he's too young to understand. Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)