Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

NFL Player Chris Draft Loses Wife to Cancer One Month After Wedding

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

Have you ever helped a loved one through their diagnosis or lost someone to the disease?

NFL Player Chris Draft Loses Wife to Cancer One Month After Wedding (VIDEO)

Posted by Janelle Harris

on January 2, 2012

If ever a story could be both a fairy tale and a nightmare, it’s the one Chris Draft is living right now. The former NFL linebacker met and fell in love with Lakeasha Rutledge, anticipating spending the rest of his life with her. When she was diagnosed with lung cancer, they pushed through her illness together, tackling life in sickness just like they planned to in health.

They married on November 27 in Atlanta. Terminal illness didn’t rob Keasha of her radiance. She was fabulous as she was wheeled down the aisle, then insisted on walking the last few steps to meet her groom at the altar to exchange their vows.

The Drafts were married for exactly one month before Keasha succumbed to the cancer that had drained her body, but not her spirit. On New Year’s Eve, when other folks were celebrating an incoming new year, her husband and family were celebrating her. Their wedding video will melt you to tears.

Strong is too pale, too shallow, and too small of a word to describe Keasha’s vibrancy,” Draft said in a tribute to his wife, who was just 38 when she passed. “Quite simply, she was ferocious. She fiercely held onto life and love with a forcefulness that was absolutely awe-inspiring and completely breathtaking. Rest in peace, Mrs. Draft.”

Wow.

A video montage of Keasha’s life makes it obvious that she sparkled with personality and shows how, even though they’d only been married a mere 30 days, they’d experienced the joy of genuine love. That’s priceless.  (View the videos HERE.)

The Draft’s family foundation, which works to impart the importance of healthy lifestyles, character development, and physical fitness to young people, has posted condolences and remembrances of Keasha on Facebook. I certainly extend mine to her husband, her parents, and all of the family and friends who obviously adored her.

This is just another heartbreaking reminder of how cancer sneaks in to devastate and interrupt everybody’s lives in some form or fashion.

by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM

touching and inspiring...so sorry for his loss...

4kidz916
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM

That's so sad.  

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM

My aunt has brain cancer. That's my only experience.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Cancer in any form is devastating and I know all too well about it. One of my bestfriends passed in 2005 after a long struggle with lukemia, she was only 20 years old. Then 11 months later one of the first graders I had worked with at a previous job since he was 5 years old died of cancer. That had to be the most heartbreaking of all. This amazing child who gave so much love who was just taken away from this world. But the way this child handled death still amazes me and god bless his mother who has glued their family back together. Their life, the school...its never the same without beautiful Caleb. Before all of this when I was in 6th grade my cousin whom I am extremely close to was diagnoised with cancer. She was 18. She is now 29 years old with her first baby on the way. A boy named Dalton due in May. We are so thankful she's in remission, yet we all know she fears the cancer returning. Especially now that she's becoming a mother. Two years ago my great aunt lost her battle with breast cancer and currently my grandmother is facing it. My grandmother on my fathers side died when I was 3 of colon cancer, and both my dhs grandfathers died of colon cancer before he was ever born. We both have been touched by this awful disease and I feel it to be a whirlwind. Its awful, horrible, sickening. So many words for it. But mostly its life changing and its what you do after that counts. God bless this man and his wife who is now with the Lord.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Oh my so sad : (

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I read this the other day. it's sad.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM
That is so sad. My mom is battling bone cancer right now, while also being in remission of breast cancer. Sucks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
So busy lately, I am damned near falling asleep sitting up. I think a nap is in order.
Thursday at 3:54 PM
by Maranda on Jan. 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM

How sad. Cancer is something that has hit my family relatively hard. I have had three family members pass from it in my lifetime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN