Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Of All the Things I DIDN'T Need Right Now...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
  • 16 Replies

DH has bought "me" a 56 gallon column aquarium and began filling it with tropical community fish that he knows I like.

IT'S SO SWEET!  I mean, he got himself a few favorites, like an eel and loaches, but the fish fish are supposed to be mine.

But I have this horrible feeling in my gut.  I'm 7 months pregnant, this tank on the stand is as tall as me, and it does require care from time to time!  (Such as the crazy eel uprooting all my plants!)  He swears he'll tend to it, keep it clean, change the water, handle all the maintenance, all I need to do is feed the fish and enjoy.  But...this wouldn't be the first time he's promised to do the work and then left it all to me.

I love the tank.  It's beautiful and he set it up so I can watch the fish while I breastfeed the baby.  I wish I could stop looking the gift horse in the mouth, but I just don't know how I'll handle it on top of everything else when the new baby gets here.  I already have to care for 2 great dane/mastiff mix dogs that he couldn't live without and now pets about once a month.  (At least now that they are trained they are lower maintenance.)  And our 3 year old son, that DH adores but only wants to play with and I'm supposed to handle ALL ELSE.  (Not that a child is a "pet" but DS is a responsibility I thought I would have more help with early on.)

I guess he started talking about getting me a tank a few months ago, and I would smile and say "Well, after things settle down with the new baby that will be awesome!" or "I would love an aquarium!  Let's get one this summer, after the new baby is born and I can work out a routine!"

Oh, I love DH.  But when it comes to pets he's like that kid who has to have something, then never lifts a finger again.  I'm hoping that since we got him that eel he'll be more invested in it.  We've spent the past 5 nights watching the aquarium plants and waiting for the water to be ready to add fish.  I mean, literally just watching air bubbles and plants!  Last night was the first night we had the eel and some guppies, and we just watched them for hours.  Maybe he really is turning over a new leaf and will keep up with it for me...

Wish me luck!  If it goes well, I plan to add some dwarf powder blue gouramis and some angel fish!  If it doesn't go well I'm tossing in some goldfish and a couple of algea eaters.

by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
she_walk_softly
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM
enjoy anyway~I have 100 gallon to take care of ugh but babies love fish tanks and you new little one will hopefully spend time peacefully watching the water...then it will be so worth it.:)
caswebworks
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM
I think the algae eaters are very helpful with a clean tank... Some say snails are also but be careful they multiple like crazy.... Good luck with hubby helping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Good luck! I hope for your sake he sticks to it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Lol. I love your bottom statement. So true! Make sure you wait awhile on the angels, they don't like a fresh tank and new water lol. But yeah if shit goes wrong, yank the heater and add goldfish.

I managed a fish store for over a decade and worked there almost 30 years.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Good Luck!

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM

lol, ty everyone.  I'll post some pics as we add fish.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Hope it works out....I had a small aquarium when I was little.

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 3, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Algae eaters are hideously ugly, but they do help keep it clean. I love Angel fish, so pretty. But they are so delicate. Growing up it always seemed like ours never stayed around long.

Can't wait to see pictures!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I think the plan right now is to see how well the eel, guppies, and ghost shrimp do.  (The shrimp are eel food, but help with the tank until they are devoured.)  If they do fine for a few weeks and DH helps out as promised, we'll add some form of tetra and some khuli loaches.  If those do fine, then six weeks later I'll add the angelfish/gouramis.  DH hates the timed waiting approach, but I got a store clerk to advise him on why it's best to start small and add fish slowly to keep the water/environment balanced and he seems to understand.  The local Petsmart tests water for free, and I also bought some test kits for DH to use at home.  With the clerk's help, I explained how some fish are "beginner level" and so on, and how the water needs to test within certain parameters for so many weeks to be sure it is stable before adding "intermediate" fish.  This is his first aquarium, but I had a lot of experience with them in my teen years.  I kept a goldfish community in a 50 gallon, and had a 200 gallon tropical community.  Never did get angelfish, though.  I always wanted them but was never in a place to really buy them.  I only kept beginner level fish b/c I had younger sisters who would try to get into the tank stuff.

I did at one point have a 25 gallon in my room, and the ONLY fish in there was a beta.  Beautiful red male, with black gravel and a giant blue glass rock.  I always meant to add more, but he seemed totally happy and content, almost regal, having the place to himself.  I named him Prince Charles Humphrey the Fourth.  He was next to the desk and would "hang out" with me when I did homework. 

Quoting goddess99:

Lol. I love your bottom statement. So true! Make sure you wait awhile on the angels, they don't like a fresh tank and new water lol. But yeah if shit goes wrong, yank the heater and add goldfish.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 3, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Love the beta's name lol. It sounds like between you and the pet staff your dh is in good hands. =) Good luck with your fish!

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I think the plan right now is to see how well the eel, guppies, and ghost shrimp do.  (The shrimp are eel food, but help with the tank until they are devoured.)  If they do fine for a few weeks and DH helps out as promised, we'll add some form of tetra and some khuli loaches.  If those do fine, then six weeks later I'll add the angelfish/gouramis.  DH hates the timed waiting approach, but I got a store clerk to advise him on why it's best to start small and add fish slowly to keep the water/environment balanced and he seems to understand.  The local Petsmart tests water for free, and I also bought some test kits for DH to use at home.  With the clerk's help, I explained how some fish are "beginner level" and so on, and how the water needs to test within certain parameters for so many weeks to be sure it is stable before adding "intermediate" fish.  This is his first aquarium, but I had a lot of experience with them in my teen years.  I kept a goldfish community in a 50 gallon, and had a 200 gallon tropical community.  Never did get angelfish, though.  I always wanted them but was never in a place to really buy them.  I only kept beginner level fish b/c I had younger sisters who would try to get into the tank stuff.

I did at one point have a 25 gallon in my room, and the ONLY fish in there was a beta.  Beautiful red male, with black gravel and a giant blue glass rock.  I always meant to add more, but he seemed totally happy and content, almost regal, having the place to himself.  I named him Prince Charles Humphrey the Fourth.  He was next to the desk and would "hang out" with me when I did homework. 

Quoting goddess99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN