Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

January 11, 2012 is National Hot Toddy Day

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM
  • 3 Replies

January 11, 2012 is

National Hot Toddy Day

Today is National Hot Toddy Day! A hot toddy is a delicious drink made with honey, lemon, hot water, and the spirit of your choice (usually whiskey, brandy, or rum). It’s the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter day, and a few sips can also relieve cold or flu symptoms.

Hot toddies originated in Scotland sometime during the 18th century. While the exact details are unknown, historians believe that the recipe was developed to make the taste of Scotch whiskey more palatable. (Apparently the women of the day didn’t care for the smoky, peat flavor.) One theory suggests that the word “toddy” evolved from “Tod’s well” (also known as Todian Spring), the water supply for Edinburgh.

Today there are many variations on the original hot toddy recipe. Some versions call for tea, coffee, cocoa, apple cider, spices, or even butter. To celebrate National Hot Toddy Day, brew up your favorite type of hot toddy and enjoy!

by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
yvonne37
by Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM

never knew this.. ok lets see whats on the bar?.. hum.. i have cognac would that work?  lol...  oh wait i have rum too.. someone is going to go to bed happy today ;)

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I knew a family that swore by this when one got sick in the family. They drunk it and then went to bed. What would happen is it would make them sweat.

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM
My friend's mom used to give us these when we were sick. Lol We used to lie and say we were sick. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)