Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What would you do?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM
  • 9 Replies

I send my children to a Christian school for many reasons. One is becase it is smaller and they are very loved there.  I have two children going to school there, my son (second grade) and my daughter (Kindergarten).  We love both of their teachers.  My daughter's teacher is very nice and great with all of the kids.  Yesterday she gave my daughter a pair of gloves.  Now, my daughter has gloves at home but she does not wear them to school because she only goes half a day and spends only about 15 minutes outside on the playground.  Also, because of experience I have learned that gloves get lost a school and I see no harm in not sending gloves.  It has not been freezing temps. here or anything.  Anyway would you feel offended if your child's teacher gave your child gloves.  I feel like a horrible mother and feel like that is how my daughter's teacher is feeling about me.  What would you do?

by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ClassyMom619
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I would just call the teacher and say thank you very much for the gloves, but explain why you sent her without them like you did to us. Then ask if maybe there is another child in class who could use them more than your own child. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Um well it must be cold enough for gloves or they wouldn't have given them to her so I would thank the teacher and send her with gloves from now on.

I volunteer at my dd's school ALOT and there's nothing I hate more than seeing kids without gloves and hats. We have a big bin at school with new items we give to those kids. They must do the same at that school as well.

happinessforyou
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I think you are thinking wayyyy to hard about this. Tell her: "She usually doesn't want to wear them, so thank you for thinking about her and trying to help her".

Why do moms automatically jump to the conclusion that there is a problem?

mandylin3
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Quoting happinessforyou:

I think you are thinking wayyyy to hard about this. Tell her: "She usually doesn't want to wear them, so thank you for thinking about her and trying to help her".

Why do moms automatically jump to the conclusion that there is a problem?

I think I  jump to conclusions because I was that kid.  I was the kid who always got charity because my mom chose to buy cigarettes and alcohol over necessities for her children.  I always got free coats and toys from various churches.  I know how it feels to have everyone around you feel sorry for you.  I don't want my kids to have to feel that feeling.  I don't ever want them to feel like everyone has to give them things because their mom isn't providing.  My husband thinks I overraccted too but I cannot help the way I feel.

I did thank her for the gloves this morning when I took my kids to school.  I also paid her for them although she told me not to.  I explained to her my feelings and what makes me this way.  I am not trying to come off as prideful or anything.  I just want my kids to have normalcy.

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Have you tried getting her those things that clip the gloves to her jacket?

I always send DS with gloves and a hat. And an extra of each in his backpack. I rather him lose them than him not have them at all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandylin3
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Quoting splatz:

Have you tried getting her those things that clip the gloves to her jacket?

I always send DS with gloves and a hat. And an extra of each in his backpack. I rather him lose them than him not have them at all!

Well, I have not tried those things that clip the gloves to the jacket but I can tell you right now I will never again send her without gloves.  This was just mortifying to me.  She is barely outside so I just didn't think it was a huge deal.  She is out of school by noon.  It's funny how something so simple can make you feel like the worst mom on the planet.  Thank-you for all of the advice.

gavs4boys
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I wouldn't feel bad. Most schools have extras.  I'd make sure they are hers to keep though.  The school my kids go to have extra stuff like that but they have to give them back (sometimes they forget and bring them home).  Think of it as them trying to be nice.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:57 PM
I would buy a set just for school. That way if they get lost, at least she has a pair at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think the teacher meant anything by it. If it bothers you then next time you see her thank her for them and casually bring up why you don't send them with her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)