Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Cell Phone for teenager

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter is going to be 16 in 10 days.  When we have asked her what she would like she said she wants a cell phone.  She has stated that if she does not get one then she is going to be very upset.   Her father has told her no and ask if she can think of anything else?  I am the step mom, her mom is dead.  I agree with my husband that when she gets a job she can get her own phone.  Are we being unfair?

by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TruCowboysFan
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM
I don't know. I'd probably tell her that ill buy her a prepaid phone(I think a lot of the cell companies do prepaid now) and a month of service and if she wants to keep the phone, shell have to get a job and pay for it herself. But she's his child so its his/your decision. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM
If she's not mature enough or responsible enough, then no.

My suggestion would be a prepaid. That way she can show you she's capable of being responsible without racking up a cell phone bill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Well I'm assuming she wants like 1 of those expensive cells with a unlimited everything plan...? In that case I would agree with you - she should get a job and pay for it. Now if she just wants a cell for safety and a TracFone where you buy minutes every few months - then maybe I would just get that.

3brown1blue
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Tell her to get a job to pay for her phone and the monthly bill...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Nope my sd is bugging for a iphone-but she's only 10-we told her she can get one when she's 16 and able to pay the bill herself

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I gave my daughter one at 16 only cause I wanted to be able to keep tabs on her when she wasn't home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN