Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Values Challenge Day 10: Bolster Their Self-Esteem

Posted by   + Show Post

You influence the way your kids think and feel about themselves and their abilities more than you may realize. So, today's activity is to bolster your kids' self-esteem -- and remember to do it all the time!

But how? If they tried their best, but didn't win, tell them you're proud they gave it their all. Give them lots of hugs and kisses and tell them how much you care often. Acknowledge their feelings and praise their good decisions. Allow them to explore and figure out what they're good at -- and encourage them to do so! If they're down on themselves or beating themselves up over something, turn their negative views into positive ones, offer ways to help them with their problem, and remind them of all the reasons they're great and unique!

How do you bolster your kids' self-esteem? Please share your tips for raising kids who feel good about themselves!

woohoo If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you want to sign up for the Family Values Challenge, you can do so here.

by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
jenniferlee_12
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I try to tell him how smart and good he is and that I love him.

love_to_travel
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting StephanAndCoral:

this morning I wrote on my sons work assignment page "you can do this I believe in you!" I can't wait to hear what he thought about that :)

WHAT AN AWESOME IDEA!! I USE TO WRITE A NOTE ON MY DAUGTHER NAPKIN AND PUT IT IN HER LUNCH BOX. UNFORTUNATELY SHE DOESN'T PACK AS MUCH. ( SHE IS IN HIGH SCHOOL, IT'S NOT AS COOL. LOL)

love_to_travel
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I TELL MY DAUGHTER HOW WONDERFUL SHE IS EVERYDAY AND THAT I LOVE HER SEVERAL TIMES A DAY. TURNS OUT IT'S CONTAGIOUS BECAUSE SHE TELLS ME AS WELL. IT IS ALMOST A RACE TO SEE WHO SAYS IT FIRST. LOL. RARE FOR A TEEN I THINK.

love_to_travel
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Quoting MissJamie12:

I've always praised my kids for the things they do well, and for trying. I've never expected perfection but at the same time I try to point out that doing your best makes life alot easier especially in the future. I always tell my kids they're sweet, beautiful, funny, smart, handsome, kind. And you're much more appreciated in life if you treat people with respect because typically respect is reciprocated.

AWESOME!!! i OFTEN TELL MY DAUGHTER IT ISN'T ABOUT BEING THE BEST AT SOMETHING BECAUSE THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE BETTER. IT IS MUCH BETTER TO BE YOUR PERSONAL BEST!!!

mash625
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I give praise when they try very hard (whether they fail or succeed) and when they show good judgment.  I encourage them to try new activities.  My 14 year old son has esteem issues (due to school bullying, unfortunately), so I try to throw some extra compliments his way.   The key to the praise and compliments is to keep them SINCERE.    

mash625
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Let your kids "overhear" you bragging about them to someone else.  

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Great idea.

Quoting Kolya25:

We look in the mirror every morning and night and say one thing we like about ourselves that day whether it be physical or something you did that day. :)

1busymomma03
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I do so many of these things on a daily basis! I think it's very important to make sure my kids have good self esteem!

MissJamie12
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM
IMO that's the best way to parent kids especially these days! It seems like there are too many kids who feel entitled and that's just not how life works! They're in for a rude awakening when it's time to take care of themselves! Parents must be vigilant about this at very early ages but it's never too late if they're still living at home;)

Quoting love_to_travel:

love_to_travel
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Quoting MissJamie12:

IMO that's the best way to parent kids especially these days! It seems like there are too many kids who feel entitled and that's just not how life works! They're in for a rude awakening when it's time to take care of themselves! Parents must be vigilant about this at very early ages but it's never too late if they're still living at home;)

Quoting love_to_travel:

I'M RAISING MINE OLD SCHOOL. LOL!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)