Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Financially Stable

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM
  • 22 Replies

Should you be financially stable before you have children?  This is a question that not necessarily pertains to my circumstances as I have 3 children, ages 8, 6 and 3.  Someone on another forum made the statement that people should be financially stable before deciding to bring children into the world.  I am curious what other people think on this topic.

Some children are not planned so in that type of situation the mother has no choice as to whether or not she is financially stable.  I feel financial security would be the ideal circumstance to bring a child into however some people would never know the joys of parenthood if they wait until they have that stability.  What do you ladies think?

by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CjEmmemommy
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM
What is stable exactly? Having your own place, paying bills on time, secure job, health insurance, happy marriage??? I had all that at 19 when we planned our first but 5 years later I can say we are more stable....
I am glad we didn't wait till the "perfect" time bc many could say we still aren't there:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hakah3
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess stable would include everything you said.  Maybe even a secure job with a really good income and savings and all of that.  I think most people do become more "financially stable" with time due to raises and more knowledge as we get older about saving money.  And really, are we ever really going to get to that perfect time to have kids?  By then we may be too old!  lol

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

What is stable exactly? Having your own place, paying bills on time, secure job, health insurance, happy marriage??? I had all that at 19 when we planned our first but 5 years later I can say we are more stable....
I am glad we didn't wait till the perfect time bc we still aren't there:-)

CjEmmemommy
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Ha yes its never perfect timing. We probably had more money then even though hubby made less.. We have wince had 2 more kids, bought a house, more utilities, bigger car ect...
We have learned and grown as people and a couple. I would say the money is the least of the "stable" things. Maturity and working as a couple has been where I have noticed the most change but you always grow so I am sure in 5 years I will think, geez 3 kids on your mid 20s... crazy:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redpatz
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Ideally we all should be "financially stable" but you can't control everything. You can do everything "right" but still end up in the poor house. Ppl lose jobs all the time. Are ppl who make a lot of $ but are in tremendous debt considered financially stable? If not, most ppl in our country would not be having kids if they had to wait for that "financially stable" stamp of approval. You can be poor with kids, and still bring yourself up out of poverty. And aren't those our favorite real-life hero stories? J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series was a single mom. Now she has more $ than the Queen. How many pro athletes grew up poor, and bought their Mommas a house when they got rich? Or famous actors? You never know what someone will become. And sometimes, it's having kids that drives a parent to better themselves. Financially stable might be the ideal, but it doesn't mean ppl of limited means shouldn't have children.
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I think if everyone had a choice and waited until they were financially stable, there would be alot less people in the world. I know I wouldn't be here. Which means my dd wouldn't be here.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed!

Quoting goddess99:

I think if everyone had a choice and waited until they were financially stable, there would be alot less people in the world. I know I wouldn't be here. Which means my dd wouldn't be here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spicy_n_sweet
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Yes I believed and felt that I should be financially stable before making the choice to have a child. And I was.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Everyone always says finacially stable but like that really exsist! My dh and I were doing ok in that department then I got pregnant and very sick which led to me not being able to work! We had to move in with my parents. My dd was born in May and I went back to work in August when oked by my dr! I got a new position in November and we moved out into a new apartment! We struggle still at times bc things come up and our savings vanished before the baby got here due to buying things she would need and not being able to replace the money we were spending bc I wasn't working! We hope taxes are good so we can open a new savings and get back on track. With that also being said, we take care of our dd. We don't get food stamps! Yes we get WIC bc I was approved when I lost my job and that helps a lot but besides that no help! We do it on our own and she never goes without and infact is super spoiled lol! So, I think as long as your taking care of your child and can afford to do that your ok! We are ttc #2 bc it took so long to get dd and we pray God blesses us with another baby. And when the time comes that baby will be cared for too like it should! I do not however plan to have more kids than I know I can afford.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hakah3
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I agree with all of you ladies.  I would not want to look back at my life when I am old and regret not having children because of financial difficulties.  In the end, it is our children that make us happy, not having tons of money and worldly possessions.  Like redpatz said "You can do everything "right" and still end up in the poor house".  You can have the best job making the best money and lose it all one day.  Life itself is unstable.  I think it is wonderful that my kids are here with me through everything and I wouldn't trade them for all the money in the world.

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Yes you should, will make life much easier! But sometimes its not possible. Life happens!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)