Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

This is really goofy... but what is the etiquitte here?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM
  • 12 Replies

So I have a friend-ish person who I went to grade school with but never really talked with her. Recently we found eachother on fb and realize we share a lot of views on motherhood. I think we could be really close. However, we've only actually hung out for 1 play date in the past year and we did have a great time. It was the first time we've seen eachother literally since 1990 I think? Anyway, she just called in a rut and wants me to come babysit Tuesday so she can go to a job interview. I will be babysitting her 3 yr old and 3 month old. I told her "absolutely!!" without skipping a beat. The thing is, I know my hubby is probably thinking "how much is she gonna pay you?" I don't know how to handle it if $ comes up - my natural ways are to refuse the $, but usually that's with close friends or family. This is someone I barely know but I feel is a budding friendship. She did not offer $ on the phone, she just said she needed the help and I told her I was available. If Tuesday comes and she offers $, what is the right thing to do? We REALLY could use the extra cash, but I don't want to look tacky by just yanking whatever she offers out of her hand, so to speak.

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 27, 2012 at 7:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly I wouldn't accept money. If she insists on paying just say something flip like - would you like to get the kids together for a play date sometime? You can bring the caramel mochas.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 27, 2012 at 9:06 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree with not accepting the money! If she offers say lunch can be on you next time or something like that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ffirsttimemommy
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 9:08 PM
If you want this to become a good friendship I would refuse the money unless she absolutely insist you take it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3brown1blue
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't take it. But be wary too...just in case...I've had people take advantage of my generosity and my nonconfrontal demeanor. If you trust her enough maybe she can return you the favor so you can go to am appointment or just an hour or two to yourself???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonkeysGrammy
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I totally agree with this! I would not even think of taking money especially since she is going on a job interview! She wouldn't be going herself if she didn't need the money. Just make sure it doesn't become a regular thing for her to ask you since she will then expect to never pay. I wouldn't take money from friends, unless it was a daily thing that you guys set up together! However, when and if you need something she can help you with then ask and don't feel funny about it. She'll owe ya one! And hopefully it took some thinking on her part to even ask you in the first place. I know I was VERY picky about who I let watch my babies for any length of time.

Quoting 3brown1blue:

Don't take it. But be wary too...just in case...I've had people take advantage of my generosity and my nonconfrontal demeanor. If you trust her enough maybe she can return you the favor so you can go to am appointment or just an hour or two to yourself???

Daisypath Anniversary tickersmonkeygrandmaMonkeysGrammy

MonkeysGrammy
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM
3 moms liked this

And if your hubby asks what she is paying? Ask him what day he is babysitting?

BeccaGK
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, if she offers money, I would take it. Especially if you need it. I wouldn't ask but if she hands you money, I'd say something like "oh, that wasn't really neccessary, but thankyou. I would never expect someone to watch my kids for free except my parents. I always offer to pay anyone else, especially my friends because they have lives too and they are here watching my kids instead. I don't pay a whole lot cuz I don't have much, but I always offer something.

LovelyLauren55
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 3:42 AM
Same here, I don't expect friends to pay me to babysit, unless it's a regular thing....like when I used to watch my friends twin boys every tue and thur

Quoting goddess99:

Honestly I wouldn't accept money. If she insists on paying just say something flip like - would you like to get the kids together for a play date sometime? You can bring the caramel mochas.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rose23113
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Honestly I wouldn't accept money.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 6:00 AM
Nope, no money, Hell she's going to a job interview! Think she's got it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN