Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is really goofy... but what is the etiquitte here?

Posted by   + Show Post

So I have a friend-ish person who I went to grade school with but never really talked with her. Recently we found eachother on fb and realize we share a lot of views on motherhood. I think we could be really close. However, we've only actually hung out for 1 play date in the past year and we did have a great time. It was the first time we've seen eachother literally since 1990 I think? Anyway, she just called in a rut and wants me to come babysit Tuesday so she can go to a job interview. I will be babysitting her 3 yr old and 3 month old. I told her "absolutely!!" without skipping a beat. The thing is, I know my hubby is probably thinking "how much is she gonna pay you?" I don't know how to handle it if $ comes up - my natural ways are to refuse the $, but usually that's with close friends or family. This is someone I barely know but I feel is a budding friendship. She did not offer $ on the phone, she just said she needed the help and I told her I was available. If Tuesday comes and she offers $, what is the right thing to do? We REALLY could use the extra cash, but I don't want to look tacky by just yanking whatever she offers out of her hand, so to speak.

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Replies (11-12):
happinessforyou
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM

If she is only going to be gone an hour or so?? How much yoiu gonna expect? If she offers money, I would tell her no, just pay the favor forward.

If this babysitting becomes an every day, all day kind of JOB then yes you should be paid.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM

You have gotten great advice, don't take the money. She is going to a job interview and sounds desperate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)