Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
Ok so I have posted something similar to this before. I need some different things to say to dh! His parents refuse to take their shoes off in our house. I know to some it isn't a big deal to me it is. I have asked that they don't but all they say to dh is that they will not take them off. Their excuse is if the dogs walk on the carpet so can they. Well my dogs are MY dogs. Their feet get cleaned off before coming back into the house. What can I say to dh now that I am completely fed up!? No debate ladies just some different ways to tell him enough is enough. Simple things are better! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Replies (11-19):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Not really with him... his girlfriend lives with him. She never said a word. I did take my shoes off just tried to get out of it. Just the way my son and I relationship is I guess I felt I could give him a little hard time.

Quoting Kristin42010:

You didn't feel like you were disrespecting him? Is he married? How did his wife feel if so? Not trying to argue just trying to see it from the other side. My family has no problem with it. His mom and dad are the only ones.

Quoting Janet:

My son used to have this rule at his house and I tried everything to get out of it..lol. He doesn't have it anymore. Sorry, I just hated taking off my shoes. But it is your house and they should respect it.

Kristin42010
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM
I understand. His family just likes to disrespect me. They are pretty good at that.

Quoting Janet:

Not really with him... his girlfriend lives with him. She never said a word. I did take my shoes off just tried to get out of it. Just the way my son and I relationship is I guess I felt I could give him a little hard time.

Quoting Kristin42010:

You didn't feel like you were disrespecting him? Is he married? How did his wife feel if so? Not trying to argue just trying to see it from the other side. My family has no problem with it. His mom and dad are the only ones.

Quoting Janet:

My son used to have this rule at his house and I tried everything to get out of it..lol. He doesn't have it anymore. Sorry, I just hated taking off my shoes. But it is your house and they should respect it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin42010
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM
I don't wear shoes on my carpet and do not wear shoes. I'm not letting them just because they are being control freaks. It wouldnt bother me as much if they acted like that toward everyone. But they would take their shoes off in two seconds if it was someone in their family or a co worker.

Quoting javamom12:

As long as they don't have wet mud on their shoes, I would let them keep the shoes on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin42010
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM
I've tried looking from their point. But it is literally the fact that they do not respect me. My mom said to buy some of the hospital slip on covers that go over your shoes. My mom has seen how his family treats me and how little they respect me.

Quoting periwinkle163:

Offer house shoes that are just for them, some people just don't like to have bare feet. Also it sounds like you are taking this way to personal. Maybe look at things from their point of view too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
javamom12
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I didn't realize they took their shoes off for people in their family.  If that's the case they should take them off in your house too.

Kristin42010
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Yes it is just my home. It's our first home. It's a brand new house. My carpets are burber. So it is just annoying. I know dirt comes out but it cost alot to have carpets cleaned.

Quoting javamom12:

I didn't realize they took their shoes off for people in their family.  If that's the case they should take them off in your house too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin42010
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

That's the color of my carpet. Minus the dog and dd! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
verystrawberry
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM
I would be upset at you too if you were my daughter in law and you let your dog walk around the carpet but made me take off my shoes. I would feel like you treated your dog better them, a human. BUT I know inlaws are inlaws and its about more then the shoes. Obviously you guys dislike each other so until one of you decides to get over it, today its shoes, tomorrow it will be toilet paper or something else LOL. My problem was the mess my inlaws made when they came over. The problems ended when I divorced my husband. Yey! No inlaws!
Kristin42010
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Oh I do treat my dogs a whole lot better. However my dogs get there feet cleaned before coming back into the house. I know they only have dirt on their feet. Which is cleaned. It would be different if we only kept them from walking on it with their shoes but we keep everyone. They are the only ones throwing a fit. I don't ask much. It is our home though so it's our rules. My dh was all for it till his parents were the ones acting like this. I may have to try the whole getting rid of dh! ;)

Quoting verystrawberry:

I would be upset at you too if you were my daughter in law and you let your dog walk around the carpet but made me take off my shoes. I would feel like you treated your dog better them, a human. BUT I know inlaws are inlaws and its about more then the shoes. Obviously you guys dislike each other so until one of you decides to get over it, today its shoes, tomorrow it will be toilet paper or something else LOL. My problem was the mess my inlaws made when they came over. The problems ended when I divorced my husband. Yey! No inlaws!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)