Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at home daycare provider or daycare facility?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM
  • 9 Replies

just curious what your thoughts are 

my son is 1 yr & 16 months old, im putting him in daycare cause i start school. i interviewed a really nice lady who does daycare out of her home (been lisenced for 20 years) just wanted to see anyones pros cons about this he has never been in daycare so im new to this.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sweetmissy_05
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM

My girls go to an at home daycare provider.

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

My dd's never been to day care so Idk but did you get references? But then again the only people that would be on her reference sheet are people she likes so it doesn't really help. Idk, I had family watch my dd, I just don't trust people.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM
My kids have only ever been to at-home daycares. I was going to go back to work after my DS was born so I interviewed a couple of facilities...I liked one, and got rubbed the wrong way by the other. But, I ended up not going back to work.

Whichever you choose, check up on them. Most states have an agency that you can check with for any violations, as long as the daycare is licensed (facility or home). But ask the provider about the violations...allow them the chance to explain. We almost missed out on an amazing provider when our oldest was a baby because I checked her out and saw a food violation. I asked her about it and it was absolutely ridiculous. She watched DD for 4 years...loved her. I'm still friends with her to this day. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermommyy21
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM

yeah she was referred to me from a toll free daycare refferal center. i have a number so i can check out good/bad comments from people that have had her. if i had a family member to watch him, i so would lol the thing that is really convienent is that its a couple blocks from my college. and i walk. i dont have a car yet lol

jillianmayasmom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is at a center. I do not like in home daycares. Her center has everything she needs. All I have to bring are diapers, wipes, premise bottles and extra clothes. They have toys and bouncy seats etc. They do art projects and read stories etc. There is always enough staff to make sure each child gets what they need when they need it. I have heard of in home daycares where the parents are asked to supply Pac n plays and swings etc. Also, for the provider, even though they are working, they are still at home where there can be many distractions. My husband works at home and he has a hard time focusing sometimes-always something in the house that needs done or he just doesn't want to get out of bed. I am sure there are very good in home centers though. This is just my preference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katherine696997
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Quoting sweetmissy_05:

My girls go to an at home daycare provider.

Gabsmommy818
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM

My daughter goes to a center as well and because centers usually are a teaching facilitly we choose to put her there. My step son use to go to a at home daycare and we were not happy because they never did any learning activities. So he is now in a center as well. I would definitely recommend going to all the places to check them out. Good luck! :)

Krystle21
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM
I prefer centers bc I think Its more structured and there are rules to follow. Only reason my kids go to a home daycare is bc I get off work at 6 and most centers close at 5:30-6 and charge a fee if you're late and I need after school care for my kindergartner with transportation. I finally found a home daycare that me n my kids like so I'm content Right now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Well I have worked at in home daycare and a daycare facility. I think children need to interact but if the in home provider is watching just a few children (not too many!) I think thats a great option. Background check first though, always! My dd stays with my mother while I work part time and I am lucky enough to have that option. Personally, even though I have worked in daycare I wouldn't put my child in one and if need be I would start one at my own home! But, I get it bc sometimes we have no choice and if I too had to do that I guess I would. I mean just right now I wouldn't bc I do have other options. I hope w.e you choose works out great for you and your ds! Good luck mama! : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)