Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

joint birthday

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM
  • 16 Replies
As I have posted before I am a proud mom of four beautiful girls. My middle two are one year and three days apart. Now February is a very busy month for us, we have five birthdays and are moving, so we are having a joint birthday for our kids. Now my family is saying that we should have seperate parties for them. Especially because they are turning two and one. Now money is tight with us moving at the end of the month and we cant really afford two parties. Now I do not intend to have two parties I am just looking for peoples opinions.
Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Maybe do 2 different cakes. I've seen that alot at joint parties.

ivylynn0711
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I have always done two seperate parties when they turn one but me n my husband also have four kids n they are all pretty close so i think u doing a joint party is a good idea its better then no party at all n since they are so young its not like they would b mad about sharing it....last year we did my sons n daughters together n they were turning 6 n 3 but like u we were moving so it made money tight I think u made a good decision....best if luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
foreverof4
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Joint parties are fine I usally just have two smaller cakes for them. Sometimes a sheet cake I dont know how big u need but decorate half for the two yr old and half for the one yr old. Good luck 

Meggie-May
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly what I was going to say! :) I don't think there is anything wrong with a joint party.. But I think having separate cakes & singing happy birthday to each child individually would be a great way acknowledge that both of their birthdays are of equal importance and would make them each feel particularly special at a joint bday party.

Quoting goddess99:

Maybe do 2 different cakes. I've seen that alot at joint parties.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spmmmommie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM
They are each having their own cakes
And we are planning on doing something with just the six of us on their actual birthdays but 50+ people require alot of food, especially twice, plus the hall rental for two seperate days. That is way to much money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Meh. At 2 and one they'll never know the difference. I would probably make it more about the 2 yo, but ultimately, its easier on you and you just have to do what's best for your family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bektx
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I don't think it is a bad idea.  I think you need to do what is best for your family.  I would, however, make sure that I had a special cake for the 1 year old.  You can get a pre-made cake from a grocery for just a few dollars, and I know that I would have regretted not having cute cake smashing pics of both my boys.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM

My girls' bdays are about 2 wks apart, but 5 yrs and we do joint family parties.  They each get a cake and we always sing separately to them.  My oldest gets a friends party (really, it's just a sleepover) so I'm not about to throw 3 parties.  Our families actually prefer this because most of the travel and this way they only have to travel one day, instead of two.  

That being said, the only party I don't make them share is their 1st.  They won't remember it, and I know that but it's their first, kwim?  

spmmmommie
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Thanks for the imput. Very glad to hear im not crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenGray
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM

They are to young to understand why they can't have their own party. They will just be excited to know that it's their birthday party. If the 2 yr old does seem to have some grip on the fact that she is sharing his/her party, then just tell her/him it's a special birthday party that should be shared with her/his younger sibling. And I agree, two seperate cakes would be a good idea. They'd get to blow out their own candles. 

Mother to Alexander. Edwyn is due in March/April <3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)