Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you believe...

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM
  • 25 Replies
Do you believe "Women raise their daughters and love their sons, while men raise their sons and love their daughters?"

Read this statement in an article last week so I paused and thought about it. What I got from this statement was that women are harder and expect more from their daughters with babying their sons and vice versa for men. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?

I have to admit I didn't think I could get pregnant but continued to pray for a son. When I found out I was having a boy, I cried tears of joy for the first time in my life! I am due April 4th and my birthday is two days before.

I am embarrassed to admit, I really wanted a boy because I don't know how to have the period talk, lol. My mother and I no longer talk because she can't admit she robbed me of my childhood. I didn't get the period talk, I read books about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redpatz
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM
I some cases, yes. Others, no. Each family is different. My mom left my dad & me for another man when I was 5. My dad then promptly dropped me off at my Gram's house where I stayed until I was grown. So in my case, it was my Gram who raised me as neither of my parents wanted to.
misslady80013
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that. I meant are women harder on their daughters than their sons? Are men hard on their sons and baby their daughters? Did you have siblings to grow up with?

Quoting redpatz:

I some cases, yes. Others, no. Each family is different. My mom left my dad & me for another man when I was 5. My dad then promptly dropped me off at my Gram's house where I stayed until I was grown. So in my case, it was my Gram who raised me as neither of my parents wanted to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM
I have 2 girls and 1 boy. I love them all equally. So does DH.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Of course you love all your kids equally. I am asking do you expect more from your daughter and baby your son? Also, do your significant others do the opposite?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywagoner
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think so. I will just love all my kids and want the best for them. I try to look at the big picture... They won't be perfect and that's ok. I will just love them through anything that comes our way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redpatz
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting misslady80013:

Oh! When u put it like that, idk. I guess maybe I do see examples of men being harder on sons than daughters.. And mothers harder on daughters than sons. But it seems like I see that more in older generations than now, maybe.
And yea, I have a younger sis & a younger bro who my Gram raised along with me. I was blessed to have a Gram that was willing to take care of us:)
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting. I never heard that quote before. And I only have 1 dd so I hope I'm raising and loving.

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I have one boy and one girl. I dont feel like I treat either of them differently based on their genders.

Krystle21
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Funny I was just thinking about this the other day. I don't show favoritism but I do parent daughter differently than I do My boys. Not in a good or bad way just differently
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ExquisiteMomof2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM
I have 1 boy and my 2nd boy on the way. Honestly whether girl or boy I expect a lot from my children. Well, will expect a lot that is. Regardless of sex my intention as a mother has always been firm discipline, teaching at a young age, sports and extra circular activities are required must and not optional, as well as 3.0GPA or higher.

I would expect these things out of a daughter if I had one. But I have 2 boys and still expect the same.

I want my children to have the best in life. To experience and try everything.

So if I'm know as the over the shoulder pushy over achieving mom, well so be it. Education and extra circular activities are vital and could mean an entry into a college or not, thus how well they will eventually do in life on their own.

I hope I answered your question suficiently as I know I will surely come under fire for this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)