Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Toddler loosing weight HELP

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:45 AM
  • 16 Replies

Hi Moms

My son is 18 months old, he keep loosing weight and very picky eater,, so the time he dont eat anything i give him juice and cookies pretty much a lot of snack,, his doctor got little upset

I want him to start gaining weight from today    HELP,,, He doesnt like eggs lol lol

can anyone give me list of what to feed him during the day,,,,breakfast lunch dinner snack?  the more choices the better,,,,Thanks 

by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Let's start with ditching juice. It's nothing but empty calories which is useless if you want your son to gain weight.

Ditch the cookies too or keep them to maybe a handful a day.

If he isn't lactose intolerant, try adding carnation instant breakfast to his milk. It has extra calories. If he likes sweet things you can try almond milk.

YOU are his first and most important teacher. What you do he will want to mimic so I suggest starting to eat more fruits and veggies through out the day.

Apples with yogurt could be a snack. Just offer him a variety of things...you have to try more than once before they'll take to it. Trust me. My son has a hard time gaining weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM
My toddler is the same way, she doesn't want to eat much of anything and isn't gaining wait. She has been fluctuating from 19-20 lbs since her birthday in September.

Right now she's living off of yogurt, applesauce pouches, baked chicken, pancakes, and the occasional fresh fruit or veggie. I wish I had advice to give you. Its beyond frustrating. Everything I give her she screams like I'm murdering her and then throws it on the floor.

Have you tried offering a variety of raw veggies? We keep a tray of various veggies in the fridge to snack on vs chips or sweets. Sometimes cherry tomatoes and carrots work for us. Just depends on tiny terror's mood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Send her to my house! A week with Lexi and your little one will be a chunky monkey too! Lol

Quoting splatz:

My toddler is the same way, she doesn't want to eat much of anything and isn't gaining wait. She has been fluctuating from 19-20 lbs since her birthday in September.

Right now she's living off of yogurt, applesauce pouches, baked chicken, pancakes, and the occasional fresh fruit or veggie. I wish I had advice to give you. Its beyond frustrating. Everything I give her she screams like I'm murdering her and then throws it on the floor.

Have you tried offering a variety of raw veggies? We keep a tray of various veggies in the fridge to snack on vs chips or sweets. Sometimes cherry tomatoes and carrots work for us. Just depends on tiny terror's mood.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM

We had to see a dietitian when my dd was little and she suggested putting butter on things, adding gravy (but my dd didn't like it), pizza more often, adding extra cheese to things, chocolate milk. Good luck.

SueDNym
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM

With my nephew - ranch dressing offered with everything helped.

With my niece - ketchup

My mom says cider vinegar worked with me.

With my boy - if it in a sample cup (like from Costco or BJ's) he'll at least try it.  I also used to make him mini-pizzas w/ english muffins, and I'd hide other baby-food veggies in the tomato sauce - he didn't notice green tomato sauce since it was under the cheese.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Boost kid essentials my daughter loves them vanilla is what I buy her and she loves them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3brown1blue
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Um stop with the cookies for one. Make fruit smoothies using some greek yogurt, 1% or 2% milk, ground cheerios (put in blender before anything else), bananas and any other fruit you  have around, even throw in a veggie as well...blend all together...my kids love it when I make the smoothies

lyngerdam
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Number 2 son needed to gain weight and the doctor had us add avocados and dates to his diet. Bad news - avocados make green slime going in and green slime coming out.

bcharadva
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Talk about picky eaters!!! My son is definitely one of them. It's an uphill battle when it comes to food... He has his favs, but sometimes those don't work either. All depends on his mood :(

He eats one Good and maybe 1 decent meals a day and 1 is usually soso. He loves chicken nuggets, so I usually have those handy but sometimes I get the chickin' stuff which is vegetarian options for chicken and he loves those. He loves broccoli, carrots, green beans, but hang on... NOT everyday!!! He's big into variety... So I start breakfast with a small piece of granola, then move on to Cheerios or frosted flakes, and sometime we also get to toast. Lunch, I offer a couple of things, some veggie, pasta, and something sweet... If he does good, then he gets Surprise candy!!! Dont let this fool you into thinking he's a good eater... As said its an uphill battle and I think I hold my breath through all his meals coz we just never know... Today we missed lunch and dinner!!! Ended up giving him pediasure... We End up giving pediasure a couple of times a week... I am trying really hard not to bed out of shape bse of his eating habits, but like everyone, I want my kid to eat well and maybe also gain some weight!!! I have tried letting him be and not force any meal on him and if e asks for food, then I just give him what wa offered earlier... Worked a couple of times and that's that :(

I rarely give juice... Cookies - yes, but no snack after 5 so I know that he'll eat a lil at dinner...

Good luck to us moms of picky eaters!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcharadva
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM
I agree... My son likes avocado with a lil sugar on it... I usually just slice the avocado in half and sprinkle sugar and scoop it and give it to him...

Quoting lyngerdam:

Number 2 son needed to gain weight and the doctor had us add avocados and dates to his diet. Bad news - avocados make green slime going in and green slime coming out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN