Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Save Smarter Challenge - Day 4: Get on the Mend

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM
  • 82 Replies
2 moms liked this

Repair your clothes, shoes, coats, etc. instead of trashing them or buying new.

Pick up a $3 sewing kit at the drugstore and get to work! Put buttons back in their place. Sew up holes in your clothes. Don't know how to sew? So not a problem -- learn how here!

Bring your shoes to the cobbler as long as they can be repaired and you'll spend next to nothing for like-new shoes. Cut jeans or other pants into shorts. Get creative and put together new outfits with old clothes and accessories. Consider browsing your local Goodwill or other thrift stores for great pieces at super-low prices. Have fun getting creative with low-cost fashions and you might be surprised at how creative you are -- you may even become a trendsetter!

Do you repair your clothes when you can? Do you have any great tips for saving money on clothes? Please share!

sewing If you missed yesterday's acitivity, you can find it here. You can sign up for the Save Smarter Challenge here.

by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShhhItsASecret
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I can't sew.
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM

If it's something simple and I can just sew really quick then I will. If I sew it and it only lasts for a little bit longer to wear then I throw out.

longhorngal
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Already do that. I own a sewing machine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM

We love shopping at Goodwill! Find lots of fun stuff.

As far as sewing..I will sew a button or repair a stuffed animal, other then that, nope not touching a needle.

gingerwife
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I always sew the small rips in our clothing, if I can't figure something out than I would just youtube it

LFosterfarm
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

can't sew to save my life!  no repairs here!  I try to buy things that I think/hope will last a while but with growing kids it is difficult.  I normally won't buy anything that's not on sale.

burnwajaco
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM

My Mom had me sewing buttons on when I was 5 years old.

I now have a small alterations company. 

WheelerWife
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Hand me down. I have three boys and everything is worn by everyone.
crazymomof4787
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I sew and make things.  So hemming and fixing buttons in no problem.   I do take my shoes to a shoe repairmen in our local farmers market to be repaired if they can be.   I really don't threw much out unless there is no hope. 

amy7243
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I send items that need fixed to my mil :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)