Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Save Smarter Challenge - Day 6: Green Your Clean

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM
  • 81 Replies
2 moms liked this

Cold water will get your clothes just as clean -- and it'll save you lots on your energy bill! When you can, dry your clothes on a drying rack or a line outside to save even more money and energy.

Make your own cleaning products with cheap, natural, effective ingredients such as vinegar and baking soda. Cut up old t-shirts and towels for reusable cleaning rags and you'll have a sparkling house and a bigger savings account! Plus, you'll be helping the environment!

Do you make your own cleaning products and/or launder with cold water? Got any other green cleaning tips to share?  

doing laundry If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. You can sign up for the Save Smarter Challenge here.

by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShhhItsASecret
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM
No
eevers55
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM

we wash everything in cold water (except cloth diapers)

jessicaaris
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I always use cold water unless I am washing something really dirty with throw up or somthing like that on it. I am sure it comes out the same in hot or cold water but it feels more sanitzed in hot. But everything else I wash in cold.

Amy127
I wash on cold and hang dry most things. Except cloth Diapers washed on hot. I also make my own laundry soap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LFosterfarm

I don't have a clothes line, want one though.  I did the whole cold water thing and some of the clothes just weren't getting clean, have a high efficientsy washer that doesn't really use alot of water anyways.  have tried making my own soap, didn't like the results, have used vinegar forever, but just recently switched to some different products, and I like them.

longhorngal
I wash everything in cold water
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vjnj2007
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM
we already wash on cold and I will be making my own laundry soap this weekend!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygurl6162008
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM
No I use warm water which isn't actually that warm the only time I use hot is when someone gets sick
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM

No hanging clothes outside at my house. My dogs would have a field day! lol

I use hot water to wash my husbands clothes and towels. Everything is else is with cold.

As far as cleaning supplies..I like my Dollar General brand stuff.

heather4511
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I always use cold and have been making my own washcloths. I realllly wana try making my own laundry soap
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN