Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Save Smarter Challenge Day 11: Rethink Gifts

Posted by   + Show Post

Birthdays, holidays, teachers and coaches... buying gifts can add up quick! So stop buying them!

Get creative with homemade gifts like cookies, artwork, or crafts instead of spending a ton of money buying something fancy. Have the kids make their own greeting cards with construction paper and crayons. Reuse gift bags or wrap with comic strips, leftover fabric, or paper grocery bags.

Do you make your own gifts? Got any creative ideas to share?

giving mom giftIf you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. To see all the activities from the Save Smarter Challenge, click here.

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Replies (51-59):
MooNFaeRie30
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:05 AM

Occassionally i make my own gifts but more often thn not i buy them

vjnj2007
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Quoting PEEK05:

I don't make my own gifts. I prefer to buy. However, I do reuse gift bags. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I try to be creative with gifts and make what i can, i also make sure the gifts i give are practical, i hate giving useless things
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissabear3
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM

We usually make a cute card and something homemade or something out of the stash of stuff I have that was on clearance.

JR.MOM
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM
I made a scrapbook cookbook for my mom last christmas. I make ribbons and bows for my lil sisters for their birthdays and christmas. I also make purses and wallets. And for the rest of the family i just bake cookie badges and store them in cute plastic bags or hand crafted boxes.
ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:32 PM
I dont make my own gifts..but I do save paper grocery bags, gift bags, and tissue paper that was with a previous gift.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kabrooks
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM

This has been my goal for quite a while. I keep saying that I am going to make gofts each year and I am getting better at it but still have to buy a few but not nearly as often as I have in the past....I just have a really hard time with the boys in the family.

mash625
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 7:41 AM

wrap baby shower gifts in a blankie!!  tada!!  a small part of the gift becomes the wrapping paper!!

sunshinepraying
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

We make chocolate covered peanut butter balls...they are always enjoyed ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN