Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Legal advice for single pregnant mother!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi! I just joined the group. I have been looking for a group to join for some advice/help for a long time. This looks like a great fit I hope!

I will try not to run on and be too talkative but I am going to be a 23 single mother. I was with the father for a short time and suffered with his alcoholic tendancies and split personality. He has never been physically abusive but was a very negative influence on my mental and emotional well-being for many many reasons.  We split up about 2 months before I even knew I was pregnant. (I didnt know until about 3 and 1/2 months that I even was!) I did end up telling him about it due to what I felt was obligation. I believe he atleast deserves to know. However, I do not want him involved in any aspect of this pregnancy or the babys life.

Before anyone gets upset, I will never restrict my child from meeting his father. I just believe that it should be later in the child's life. I do not trust the father to keep the child and also believe him to be a strong flight risk. He has gotten 2 DUI's in the last year, has been fired from his job twice for his temper, and overall has many split-personality tendancies as mentioned before.

Due to this situation, I am finding it hard to get information about what my rights are as a single, pregnant mother, and also what his would be if he wants to have the child in his life. Does anyone have a good resource that I can read/look into regarding the rights of each parent in the state of CO? I am definitely going to be doing the pregnancy without him, the child with share my last name, and I will be the only name on the birth certificate. But I worry that he will try to come around and be involved after the child is born, and I would just like to know what his legal rights are.

Please let me know!! Anything is appreciated!!!! :) Thank You

by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Replies (11-11):
suetoo
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Please start keeping a journal and document his DUI dates, his firing dates, and quotes of anything threatening he has ever said to you. He has parental rights regardless of his POS ness, and can come around at anytime for his "parental" rights. You need to protect your child's wellbeing first, then yours. Your child has a right to future child support, and too many fathers are let off the hook. Please google legal aid in the city nearest to you, make a few calls, because you should consult a lawyer experienced in family law. And listen to your gut, that you do not trust the father. And you sound like you are already a very good mother. Both my girls are expecting, my oldest lives with her significant other, and we are all thrilled. Good luck and hugs,

suetoo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)