Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
I am ashamed of the people that are out on the road when our children are coming home from school. I live by 3 schools, 2 elementary and one high school, and from my patio I can see the kids coming home and the school buses dropping the children off. But for the life of me, I CAN'T figure out why the drivers just fly by when that red sign goes out so the children can safely get home. Do they think, "Oh that's not my kid, who cares?" They are not MINE but as a parent of a child that will be starting school in a few years it makes my nervous about even sending him.
I sat here yesterday and counted at LEAST 5 cars that flew by the bus and one of them flipped off the driver. What is this world coming to?
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Replies (11-16):
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM
And the cops, never be around to catch them speeding! Dangerous
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strungoutmom
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM

on the road where we used to live was the main road to get threw the neighborhoods.  They used to speed down all the time. If I was outside I would yell at them.  If i can see them down the street far enough I would just step out in the middle of the road.  Then wait for them to stop and walk up to them and ask them nicely to slow down. Young children on the road. And tell them I am deaf and they need to slow down just in case i do not hear them or see them when I leave my driveway.  IT worked after that everyone slowed down going down our road.

Was not long after that they put in speed bumps. I found out later one of our town Police Officers was watching what I was doing for a few weeks and I think pressed even harder for the speed bumps.  The speed bumps apparently had been brought up to our city counsel already.  I was stopped by him (found out later) and he asked what in the world I was doing and was I crazy. I told him yes I was crazy and I was trying to keep a child from being hit, or the drivers wiping out coming around our corner and hitting the light pole or my neighbor across the streets front lawn.

And I was deaf and wanted them to know that. That sometimes I do not hear a car come up the road when I back out of driveway and we are right on a corner and its a blind spot.  He says atleast you are doing it safely and he is going to see what he can do about getting the speed bumps installed.

I know its extreme but that is what I had to do .

I would go to your city counsel and complain, police dept even the chief of police might work too.

snuggiewoogie
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Yeah they do that around here too and It's like WTF are this people thinking there are small little kids trying too get home from school....... Idiots!

Pherlyce
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 4:01 PM

we call a police patrol to stay in the hours of school bus pick-up and drop off's...... this really helps a lot......sometimes we citizens need to step up and let our authority to know, because they cannot really cover every street and highways of our place, we also called the city office just to put extra light post and sign, they are very quick to response. I hope this will help :)

littlepinkrose
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 3:57 AM

I thought you had to stop for the red sign and it was illegal to pass.  If someone does that to the guys who drive my nephews bus they get the license number and that person will get a ticket in the mail.

BeckyTerrill
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Police monitoring the traffic in the area would be a good thing...maybe you can call and explain the situation and an officer would come out when school is dismissed...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)