Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Save Smarter Challenge Day 14: Find Free Stuff

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM
  • 54 Replies

Sometimes it seems like everything costs money -- and lots of it. But you don't have to spend tons of money to have tons of fun! If you search a bit and get creative, you can find lots of low-cost or even free stuff to do with your kids! Here are some ideas (for all seasons):

• Utilize the school playground when school's not in session
  • Bring some old, stale bread to a local lake or pond and feed the ducks
  • Pack a cooler, hit a local park or the public pool, and plan to spend the day 
  • Look for free library events like storytime or just go sit and read quietly
  • Volunteer for a good cause 
  • Check out Barnes & Noble's in-store storytime events or their online storytime
  • Enjoy low-cost events like concerts or plays at your local high school, church, or playhouse
  • See if there are cheap, kid-friendly events happening at the botanical gardens, zoos, or museums, etc. in your area
  • Check out your town's website and see if there are any free events going on in the area 

What are your favorite free things to do with your kids? How do you find out about free and low-cost events in your area?

slideIf you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. To see all the activities from the Save Smarter Challenge, click here.

by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heather4511
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM
My dd loves the park. Sometimes we have reduced movies that I take her to. She loves feeding the ducks but its illegal, shhhh... LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BJAponte77
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 2:54 AM

you can search low cost and your zip code on bing and it'll show you low cost events in your area

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

bruyere123
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 4:55 AM
Right now its df and I, but I love walking in the park and the library. our town also has a chambersfest. Which is cool. Once May comes, there won't be much of that :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strungoutmom
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 5:07 AM

when my girls were little I did just about everything mentioned by group mod.

park to feed the ducks, Zoo for a picnic and they played in the park.

at home we would get all the sheets and make tents in the bedroom and sometimes outside. took the girls to the library to get books and movies. we would sit outside and make bird houses out of the paper milk carton I would get from the store. 

momma4AJ
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 5:20 AM
my son is 2 so he is still free to go to the zoo, but our apartments have 2 playgrounds and he LOVES slides, sometimes we'll pack up our amazing wagon and just walk, or ride the city bus
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 6:43 AM
We love the park.
ShirreeM
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 7:01 AM
Since my kids are little, there favorite thing to do is go to the park.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 7:05 AM

We like going to the park to play on the playground. 

StephanAndCoral
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM
We have gone to the different parks around here. Afew even have water structures for summer time. We have set our tent up in the back yard and camped for a 3 day weekend. We used an old charcoal bbq that we took the stand off of to make a fire pit to have our camp fire experience. Almost everything I do with my kids is low cost or free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephanAndCoral
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 7:42 AM
We usually find out about things in our community newsletters. Or from the schools. We have looked on the city website and county websites also the neighboring city has a fb page and tells of the happenings around town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN