Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

New Baby & New Puppy???

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM
  • 13 Replies

So I am due just about any day now.
We just moved into our on post apartment in Germany and stil don't have all of our own stuff, and won't until April, most likely.
Did I mention that I'm due any day now?

--Oh yeah, and we want to get a dog.

Realistically we will probably bring the dog (assuming we get it) a few weeks, to probably a month after our son is born. We're currently looking at a boxer. It's not a super young puppy, but under 6 months, I'd say. I know I'm asking for a full plate doing both at the same time, but we both want a dog so badly, and we want our son to grow up with the dog.
Anyone have any tips or advice for bringing in both at pretty much the same time? How do I make this as smooth a transition as possible for all of us?

Of course, positive feedback is always preferred, but if you have a negative opinion you'd like to share, please be polite. =]

Thanks everyone!

<3

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would wait until after your baby is born and you are in a groove. jmo

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM
This. Seriously, I would wait. I've done the puppy thing with an infant while dh was AD army. It was more pain than it was worth. I've also done the puppy-preschooler-infant while dh was training to be a deputy. Oi that was a pita!

Quoting goddess99:

I would wait until after your baby is born and you are in a groove. jmo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:25 PM
I would wait until the baby is here and you get the baby on a schedule! It's just to much all at once! Plus introducing a dog after the baby is there should help the dog with jealousy issues!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcharadva
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:50 PM
I would wait... I had a one and half yr old lab before my first son was born and that too was a lil bit of juggle. Give yourself 6+ months till your baby has a bit of a schedule and then get a dog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Quoting bcharadva:

I would wait... I had a one and half yr old lab before my first son was born and that too was a lil bit of juggle. Give yourself 6+ months till your baby has a bit of a schedule and then get a dog.

This. Get into the groove of things with your baby first, then look into getting a dog. Both a baby and a puppy will demand A LOT of your attention.

Vikki77
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM
My sister in law got a puppy that was 6 weeks old when her son was 3 months old. The "babies" grew up together. They were insuperable until the dog died at 8 years. We have 2 adult bull terriers. We got the second one a month before my daughter was born. All good stories from this end. But a6 month old puppy might be very hyper, so I would just do what felt comfortable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadedFaerie
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 6:30 AM

We already had 3 dogs and two cats when bub was born, we currently have 5 puppies ruling the roost. It's really not hard :)

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM

To bring in a pup at the same time as the baby would be like bring in 2 babies.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

You already had the puppies.

Quoting JadedFaerie:

We already had 3 dogs and two cats when bub was born, we currently have 5 puppies ruling the roost. It's really not hard :)

merinasmommy
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:16 AM
I have a 1 year old and puppy...I'm ready to pull my freaaking hair out.idk who pees in the floor more.the one year old who pulls her diaper off or the puppy that refuses to be house broken(she is 10 weeks and if she isn't house broke by next week she will be an outside puppy)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN