Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Learning to Juggle and Dropping the Ball

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi! I'm Sarah Lena. I've been blogging since we formally referred to them as "weblogs" and, if my parents aren't reading this, I'll admit that I actually started with role-playing fan-fiction on community boards back in the early 90s, writing things that I would certainly KILL my children for coming up with now. I'm a stepmom to an 11 year old boy, a mom to a four year old boy, and a wife to a forty year old boy. Suffice it to say: I own all of the ovaries in my house.

I reside in what we call the Rocket City of Huntsville, Alabama. We're probably most famously-known for having the US Space and Rocket Center, and most recently, Antoine Dodson. Yep. Hide yo kids, hide yo wife? That's my hood! I know. I can FEEL your pride on my side of the screen.

But living in a Rocket City means that I, too, am involved in said rockets. BWAHAHAHA, no, wait, don't get to thinking that I'm an engineer or anything fancy like that - I call myself an "engineer translator". I wrangle engineers, dumbing down their layouts and drawings and thoughts and stuff into layman's terms. I also moonlight as a freelance proposal writer and coordinator. Oh, and my husband and I are both veterans of local theatre, so we work with local production companies. Oh, and I also do a lot of voiceover work regionally.

I did mention the kids, right? I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Anyway, the point is this: my life is a lot about finding the perfect balance between work and home life. I should rephrase: my life is a lot about searching for the perfect balance between work and home life. I can't say I've found it. But I do hope to relay some tips and tricks that have worked with my family - and dude, if you've got some? PLEASE THROW THEM AT ME.

(I say "dude" a lot. You've been warned.)

(Also, "y'all".)

In trying to figure out the right way to start, I finally decided I would pass along my personal mantra to you. During a particularly stressful proposal for a billion dollar government contract, I had a Vice President confide in me, "You're only human. It's okay to drop the ball every now and again. Just make sure you catch the eggs."

Ever since then, if something slides through the cracks - and something ALWAYS will! - I take a moment to breathe and decide: ball or egg? If it was just a ball? Life continues on. Lessons are learned, steps taken, and we move forward. If it's an egg? Well, then maybe some bigger measures need to be observed.

But I think that's been the best advice I've ever been given. In balancing work, life, kids, family, pets, hobbies, and whatever else fills your day planner, it's okay to forgive yourself some mistakes.

Just make sure you catch the eggs.

What balls are you okay with dropping?

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 7:06 AM

It's ok in my opinion to drop the ball when it comes to cleaning the house or doing laundry as long as I go back and do it the next day.  I find that if I let that ball drop too many times than I am likely to not want to pick it up again.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 8:20 AM

My house doesn't have to be perfect. The dishes can wait unti after I come in from playing outside with the kids...etc..

gacgbaker
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM

God, husband, kids- those three are non-negotiable to hold onto- after that I prioritize the best that I can and the rest drops. 

elasmimi
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 9:56 AM

My housework is a ball. I have back problems, and do the best I can, and I'm lucky I have an understanding husband. I wish I also had a helpful husband, but I can live with understanding. It's more important to me to attend school functions, play time with our 5 y/o, and spending some time with the wonderful man God blessed me with. I make sure everyone has clean clothes, good meals, and a meaningful spiritual like, those are my eggs.

bamababe1975
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Keeping a clean house. At the end of the day, if my kids are happy, healthy, well fed and well loved, I could care less about the house being clean.

SarahLena
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Quoting malexander2009:

I am not good with letting any thing drop...I feel horrible when I do. 

OH, ME TOO. Look, I exhaust day runners and iPhone appointments and Google calendars and every reminder seven ways to Sunday, but I still drop something. And I inevitably will lose sleep over it.

This is a mantra - a goal, if you will. I am not always great at fulfilling it! :)

LOswald0314
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Love the mantra!  I've been known to drop the housework ball :)

amonkeymom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

So true about being able to give yourself some slack and forgive your own mistakes. 

amonkeymom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I've been dropping the housework ball a lot lately and asking the kids for more & more help.

Quoting elasmimi:

My housework is a ball. I have back problems, and do the best I can, and I'm lucky I have an understanding husband. I wish I also had a helpful husband, but I can live with understanding. It's more important to me to attend school functions, play time with our 5 y/o, and spending some time with the wonderful man God blessed me with. I make sure everyone has clean clothes, good meals, and a meaningful spiritual like, those are my eggs.

LuLuRex
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I'm the same way. I probably drop the ball on sleeping because of it!

Quoting malexander2009:

I am not good with letting any thing drop...I feel horrible when I do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)