Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"I work outside of the home, so I don't have time."

"I stay home with my children, so I don't have time."

"I'm too tired/sore/old/young/out-of-shape/stressed/fat/skinny/poor/busy."

"Eric Northman is my secret lover and he says I can't eat healthy or work out or he'll leave me with stupid, brooding Bill."

Assuming the last one isn't true (and if it is, I will fight you for him and I warn you, I'm from Jersey and fight dirty), what excuse haven't we all used?  I have two small children - Charlotte, 5, and Sawyer, 3 - and work full-time at home as an Editor for a worldwide technical publishing company. My days are pinballed with phonecalls, deadlines, manuscript corrections, school lunches, errands, drop-offs, pickups, Crossfit, dinner, dishes, laundry, and then of course there's that pesky hot husband who likes some of my attention.

But we're no different, you and me. We all have our baggage and show me one SAHM who is on her cushy tushie eating bon-bons watching Hoarders and I'll show you a working mom in a tiny pencil skirt schmoozing execs on the Upper East Side with perfectly coiffed hair. You are me and I am her and she is you. Get over it. There is no excuse better than the next.

My husband was diagnosed Celiac in 2010 after a few years of illness that no one could figure out. Once we knew what was causing his issues and that it was genetic, we tested our babies. Both came back gluten-intolerant and all of a sudden so many things made sense: Charlotte's GERD, eczema, and asthma; Sawyer's constant bout between diarrhea and constipation and his skeleton-like frame.

Around the same time, I was teetering close to 250 pounds again, a weight I swore I'd never see after losing 100 pounds five years prior. I was on multiple medications, a size 22, and I wasn't even 30 years old. 

I had read a few books my doctor suggested to treat my PCOS and had just started adopting a "Primal/Paleo" lifestyle and found  Crossfit. In the span of a few short months, my life had been turned upside down. The more I researched my husband's disease and the better I felt and more weight  I lost eating the way we were, the more I realized that the answer was so simple: Eat Real Food.

I've lost 120 pounds from my heaviest near 300, my husband and children are healthy, and we're all fit and strong. I'm not some miracle-pill success story. I'm just a mom, like you. But I stopped making excuses. And I started living.

I hope that my story and the tips and tricks I've learned over the years following a Real Food lifestyle with my family will show you that no matter what excuse you give yourself every day, that you are better than that. You and your family are worth it and I can show you how.

Are you ready? What excuse do you want to stop hearing in your own head?

by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
LOswald0314
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM

That's awesome!  We have been trying to eat "real food" and are doing pretty well.

amonkeymom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Congrats on your weight loss!

My excuses are the same as most people... no time, no energy, too many things to do, etc. 

amonkeymom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Or an extra day in the week to spread things out a little more.  lol

Quoting daerca574:

I seriously need like 3 more hours in the day! I barely have time to sit down for supper.  I try very hard to work everything into my schedule. 

amonkeymom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Doesn't it suck?  I'm my own worst critic as well and it's hard to get out of that habit.

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

I want to stop hearing the excuses as to starting a diet and exercising.  I am my own worst critic and make up a bunch of excuses as to why I can't do it, if I would just put as much energy into doing it as I do making the excuses than I would be so much better off.

LuLuRex
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Same for me. I don't use it often, but it definitely is my go to excuse!

Quoting gacgbaker:

Being tired...

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Congratulations on your weight loss!!!   Great story:)

heathermichelle
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM

All of them LOL.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I'm too tired, and I don't have time.

babyboxfish
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:23 AM

No time, no time!!  Working on that. :(

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I needed to read this. I need to get my butt in gear and eat more healthy and work out more often. Thanks!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)