Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why The Freezer Meals are Still Frozen

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was pregnant with my second I spent hours in the kitchen preparing and freezing meals to eat once she arrived. I bought a chest freezer, I learned the best way to seal up freezer meals to protect against freezer burn. I labeled them all diligently and organized them by cuisine. We would eat like kings once this baby arrived! The baby came, life flew by in a haze and my freezer is still really full of those meals I so ambitiously made 10 months ago.

What went wrong? And more importantly, what have we been eating for the last year?

My biggest mistake in preparing these dozens of freezer meals is that I made them big enough to feed a family of eight when there was only 3 of us who would be eating them. "Leftovers!" I thought, but leftovers aren't a huge hit in our house, not to mention the freezing, thawing and reheating wasn't nearly as palatable on 8 month old lasagne. I also never took into consideration just how long it takes to heat up the meals. Had I thought about it at 3 o'clock I could have pulled it out of the freezer, preheated the oven and had dinner ready by 5. But no, 3 o'clock is sad o'clock in our house and dinner was always the farthest thing from my mind. By the time my six year old started asking about dinner it was already 5 and unless we wanted to eat at 7 those giant freezer meals were out of the question.

I seem to have a similar relationship with my slow cooker, something about chopping meat and sauteeing veggies at 9 am so you can have dinner ready at 6 - the slow cooker is one of the greatest inventions ever for busy families but I just can't seem to wrap my head around making dinner before breakfast and cooking it while I eat lunch.

It's a funny relationship I have with meals, while it makes all the sense in the world to prepare often and prepare early - meal time comes around, especially dinner, and I'm wondering where the food is going to come from because I certainly didn't have the foresight to put a freezer meal in the oven in time or get the slow cooker ready 8 hours earlier.

At what point in your day do you start thinking about where dinner's coming from?

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I toss around some ideas in the morning, usually. If I want to use the slow cooker then I have to consider it early enough in the week to get the groceries.

babyboxfish
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:20 AM

same here.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

The answer depends on what we are making that night.  Sometimes we think about it the night before *so it can sit and marinate* or during the late morning/early afternoon.

foodie.at.heart
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM

It depends on the day. Sometimes I plan days in advance, sometimes it's on the fly.

foodie.at.heart
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Oh my gosh, you are so organized!

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

Friday I make out my menu for the next week.  I like to plan ahead and get everything for the week so that I don't have to do more shopping than necessary.  

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Usually on Monday I make a schedule of what we are going to eat that week ad ten head to the store.
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I am ashamed to say that unless I am doing something like a roast that is planned of ahead of time, I usually start to think about dinner around the time my kids come home from school.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I meal plan , and have frozen foods .. using freezer cooking or vegetables frozen for omelets and such

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I have found that there are more leftovers than I planned for, usually, so the groceries that I've bought don't get used when I think they should. And those meals I have cooked and frozen don't get used in good time.

suziejax
by Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Unless I have my menu in place I wait to late to think about dinner ,,,, 

millerbunch
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

i sometimes think about it in the ealry morning or afternoon..

other times it's a last minute decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN