Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Braxton Hicks contractions...?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 1:33 AM
  • 9 Replies

I am just starting my 24th week of pregnancy and within the last month have noticed that my abdomen has been swelling sometimes, getting extremely hard and lumpy, and then after 15-20 seconds, or changing positions, it goes back to normal. When my stomach hardens, it feels very tight but besides the pressure, is completely painless. From the research I have read and researched online, this seems to be the Braxton Hicks contractions?

I told one of my pregnant friends and they told me that it was abnormal and possibly dangerous to be getting these so "early" in the pregnancy. (although 6 months hardly seems early to me). I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday so I will make sure to speak with her about it, but in the meantime just wanted to see if anyone else has ever experienced this? And if so, is it bad to be feeling these contractions, even though they are painless? OR atleast to be feeling them at 24 weeks???

by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JadedFaerie
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 5:35 AM

a lot of women get BH from 20 weeks onwards. Just make sure they have no real pattern

momandher8
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Usually the doctor will tell you when this happens that you have to drink water.. because its about hydrating the body.. I have 8 children and have experienced this.. they dont get as bad as the contractions and usually are common with women.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM

You need to hydrate yourself by drinking LOTS of water. Please do mention it to your doctor so they can make sure, but that's probably what it is.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 3, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I never had BH but I would just tell your doctor so they can monitor you more closely.

fallenangel7386
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I had them that early, Its your bodies way of preparing for birth. 

RockstarMom86
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Your body is just "practicing" for the real thing. Nothing to be alarmed about unless it doesn't stop (then I'd call your doctor or go to the ER) so it doesn't turn into real labor. Don't stress yourself out about because you'll stress out the baby too. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy. Talk to your doctor to ease your mind. 

*Mommy of two girls, Koryna-7 yrs old Gianna Cecilia-8 months old.*

Pammi86
by Pamela on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Talking to your dr is a good idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalplus1
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM

As long as they have no pattern your ok. i had those at 23 weeks.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Braxton Hicks contractions this early are normal, and generally painless.  If you continue to get them later on in pregnancy, they will most likely become painful and mimic real contractions.  You'll know the difference between the two because BH contractions are all over the place and real contractions will have a measurable pattern.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)