Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insurance Help!!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

So once I found out I was pregnant, I also began to worry about insurance and how I was supposed to pay for everything with many college loans to still pay off and my job does not currently bring in enough to support it. So, I applied for Medicaid. In the meantime, found an absolutely wonderful, amazing doctor who I have gone to since I found out. I was still covered under my parents insurance for another three years so I figured it would be another debt paid to them once I was able to get back on my feet. A week ago my Medicaid went through and I am now covered under it. However, my doctor does not accept it. My parents have volunteered to still cover me with my current doctor but want me to use the Medicaid for the hospital.

I feel completely stressed and I have no clue about any of this. Has anyone ever even heard of using two insurance providers during the pregnancy?? Or does it have to be one or the other???

So stressed/confused!!!!!!!!!!!

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I'm Really surprised you got medicaid since you already have insurance. That can't be right.....

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM
I would talk to the hospital to see what you can do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM
This!

Quoting goddess99:

I'm Really surprised you got medicaid since you already have insurance. That can't be right.....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Your parents would be primary and medicaid will be secondary. Some doctors don't take medicaid, all hospitals do.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I had two insuraance providers my first pregnancy.  When i applied i had medical bills that they also paid retro-activley (from earlier in the pregnancy).   I would continue to see your current doctor, maybe ask if he would be willing to work out a deal...Maybe he would be willing to accept medicaid for the portion that your primary doesnt cover?  idk, its something to ask about.

with the hospital, give them both insurance information whenyou register.  whatever isnt covered by your primary, should be covered by medicaid.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I agree...check and see if they could work out something....hope everything comes together for you...

orngblsm
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM

You can be covered by both, but Medicaid is considered the "Secondary" insurance.  That means that Medicaid will cover and pay for whatever is not covered by your parent's insurance at the hospital.  You don't get the option of choosing which insurance pays for what or where.  (i.e. private pays the doctor and Medicaid pays the hospital.)  Where it will come in handy is coverage for your baby.  Your parents will have to check, but I don't think your baby will be covered by their insurance.  However, the baby will be covered by Medicaid so you shouldn't have to worry about hospital bills for him or her.  Medicaid will probably also pick up any hospital copays from your parent's insurance plan.  However, now is the time for you to start calling around and finding a pediatrician for your child who will accept Medicaid so you don't have the same problem that you are having with your doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)