Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Tornado Tosses 7-Year-Old 350 Feet & Then a Miracle Happens

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM
  • 8 Replies

Tornado Tosses 7-Year-Old 350 Feet & Then a Miracle Happens

Posted by Kim Conte on March 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

tornado sucks up 7-year-old boyThe news out of the central and southern part of the country is absolutely devastating this morning after nearly 100 tornadoes ripped through several states including Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, and Alabama, leaving many people dead in their wake. But there's one story from the chaos that will warm your heart.

A 7-year-old boy named Jamal is recovering from injuries after being caught in a tornado that sucked the second story off his home Friday in Charlotte, North Carolina. And, when I say "caught in a tornado," I literally mean he was CAUGHT INSIDE OF A FUNNEL CLOUD: It picked him up and then dropped him 350 feet from his home on the embankment of Interstate 485. It's unbelievable, but somehow this little boy survived this horrific ordeal.

I can't even imagine waking up to a tornado slicing off the top half of my house, but that's exactly what happened to this poor family. The parents and four kids were asleep upstairs when the tornado roared through. One of Jamal's 3-year-old twin sisters was caught in the rubble in the house (the other was fine); his 5-year-old sister was hurtled out into the neighbors' yard; and as we know, Jamal was swept away. He's recovering at home; his two sisters are still in the hospital.

I can't help comparing this story with the heartbreaking one from yesterday in Indiana about the toddler, Angel, who was found alive in a field after a tornado and sadly passed away. Obviously, it's useless trying to make sense of why one child's life was lost while another was spared. But that's the thing with tragedies of this nature -- our minds just go there automatically. We can't help being sad for Angel, but we can get some comfort from Jamal's story. Believing that miracles sometimes really do happen can get us through the tough times.

Were you in an area that was hit by a tornado this weekend?

by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mrsnoble2004
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM

no

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM

wow that is scary. Those tornados weren't around MI. We had severe snow storms instead.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Amazing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Wow thats crazy. The storms pretty much went around us this time.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

We had a liitle snow here. Great story!

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I read of all these stories...so glad the other little ones and their families made it...very sad to hear about Angel and her family.  Some areas around me were affected...

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM
He has an amazing story, to tell his children one day. But I wouldn't live in those areas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM
We live in Kansas. Harveyville is as close as they've came so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN