Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Have You Found Your Grocery Shopping Stride?

Posted by   + Show Post

When it comes to grocery shopping I have friends who clip coupons, browse every store mailer and split their shopping between several different stores in order to get the best price. I also have friends who don't care about price and head to the store with the sole intention of getting what food they want to eat without taking price, sales or coupons into consideration. I have done it both ways, saved 90% on a pile of crap food that took me four different stores to acquire and headed to the closest store to get exactly what I wanted regardless of price.

I'm happy to report I now fall somewhere in the middle, and by supplementing my shopping at warehouse stores I'm now able to shop once a week to fill in the cracks with fresh fruits, vegetables and meats that have an expiration date.

During my experimental couponing phase I found that rarely can one get fresh fruits, vegetables and meats with coupons. Even dairy is hard to get for next to nothing so I ended up buying an awful lot of chips, not because that was what we ate, but because I could get 10 bags for $0.47. I certainly don't have a problem stocking up on a few non perishable essentials and emergency rations during a sale, but I certainly don't clear the shelves. Another friend and I got into experimental couponing at the same time and we both realized we just ate worse with those things were in our houses, no matter how cheap they were. (However we do love using coupons for household items, THAT'S the way to save money!)

I have four grocery stores within five minutes of my house but when it comes time to get a lot of groceries I actually choose a store that's about 20 minutes away. They have the best selection of fresh produce, much of it organic, as well as the greatest selection of many other items and really good sales. The grocery stores closest to me either have higher food prices when what you're buying isn't on sale or a miserable selection of produce and meats.

Now that I have a house with a pantry and chest freezer I've been able to do some more serious warehouse shopping, stocking up on staples such as condiments, canned goods and baking products for much cheaper than a grocery store. And while buying 10 pounds of chicken all at once for $17 seems a bit overwhelming, considering chicken at the grocery store averages around $2.50 a pound? Those 10 pounds at $1.70 a pound are a great deal if you have the means to freeze and store it.

I feel like I've finally hit my grocery shopping stride, not buying or spending too much and putting real food on the table for my family.

How do you choose where you grocery shop and have you found your grocery shopping stride?

by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Wish2Be
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I wont go to a dozen stores...I am a one stop shopper. I do however clip coupons and I try to buy accordingly. :)

jessicasmom1
by Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I go to try to find the deals , coupons if I have them 

heathermichelle
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I shop at the same stores. I look for sales for surrounding areas and always comp them at Walmart.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I haven't yet. I am still pretty haphazard about grocery shopping. I try to shop at the store nearest to where I am. So if I am at my mother's I'll shop near there. If I am at the doctor's, there's a store nearer to there.

Rushn311
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I split my time between Super Walmart which pretty much has the better deal on most things, then I finish off at Woodman's which is a really big grocery store with every brand possible. They have the best produce.

Sometimes I go to Hilander if they have their $1 deals-but not much anymore.

Chicken, I go to Pacemaker cause' it's real cheap and good!

I look at flyers, clip coupons

babyboxfish
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM

we get certain things at certain stores and make a stop at our produce stand every couple weeks!  it seems to work out well enough!

ceciliam
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I shop, pretty much exclusively, at Wegmans. They have great prices...the stores are always clean and I can make my list on their website, complete with pictures, prices and the aisle each item is located. The other great thing is that they send out coupons fro fresh produce, meat and dairy! Wegmans rocks!

Oh, and I have my shopping trips down to a science)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I shop at Walmart for everything but produce and meat. I shop at another grocery store for those items I mentioned, sometimes 2 grocery stores.
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I shop at Costco for a lot of things but what I dont buy in bulk, I buy at Kroger and use the rewards card. I dont really clip coupons.

suziejax
by Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Yes I have found my stride :-) i love that word!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)