Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

One of the best ways to eat whole foods and make the most use of what little time parents have is to buy in bulk and learn how not to waste.

What I mean is this: most people go to a warehouse store and buy six giant green peppers. Then they get  home, make one dish that calls for two peppers and the other four peppers sit in the fridge and go bad. But if you think ahead with your bulk items, not only will you save money but you'll have meals almost prepared ahead of time before you go to make them.

I've compiled a list of some tips on buying whole foods in bulk and how to make the most of your money.

1)      Use your freezer to stay prepped: Things like onions, celery, and peppers are great examples on how to make things versatile and last long. If you buy a bunch, slice half and place in baggies in the freezer for easy access for a quick stir fry. With the other half, dice and place in a small container in the fridge. Add to a skillet in the morning for your omelet or for dinner with in a chili or Mexican dish.

2)      Find multiple uses: If you buy a large package of strawberries and for some reason that week, your three-year old decides that "stwawbewwies are ucky," adapt. Boil them on the stove with some honey and store for a quick, healthy ice cream topper. Put them in the blender and freeze in ice cube trays with toothpicks for "baby ice pops."

3)      If you buy meat in bulk, such as ground meat, take the time out immediately when you get home from the store to break it down. Set one pound aside in a bag for meatloaf, one pound for meatballs, and make the last pound into three large burgers. Label each bag with weight of meat, date, and intention of use - sometimes this reminds you what you needed it for. Wrap any burgers individually in plastic wrap so you can take one out at night for a quick breakfast or lunch the next day.

4)      Portion: Take your snack items, like raw fruits, veggies, and nuts and place them in small containers or baggies on Sunday for a quick and easy grab for the week's lunches and snacks. If you count calories or Points, label the outside of the bag with the totals as you portion them to keep an easy tally.

Do you buy your whole foods in bulk? How do you make the most of your money and time?

by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
amonkeymom
by Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I don't either, it goes bad too quickly.

Quoting elasmimi:

I never buy fresh produce in bulk. Mostly paper and cleaning products.

amonkeymom
by Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I totally agree with this!  A freezer or an extra fridge can be a big help!

Quoting ARmom:

I don't know what I'd do without our extra fridge in the garage.  All my bulk items get stored there.  It's worth the investment if you have room. You can buy a used one off craigslist.

Quoting suziejax:

I do not becaue  I do not have a big freezer and it would get wasted... it tends to go bad before I use all of it ... so I buy every few days since we started a new diet of less meat and more whole foods

Madelaine
by Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM

We love to buy bulk

MissyB1011
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

We do this for many items. It takes the stress out of meal planning and prepping.

alliesmom112
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:34 PM
We buy frozen veggies and meat in bulk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:40 PM
I done do fresh produce in bulk either.

Quoting elasmimi:

I never buy fresh produce in bulk. Mostly paper and cleaning products.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I have a BJs member ship and buy some things in bulk, like stuff that we will use very fast. We do freeze some of our fruits and veggies and mostly all our meats.

Leelee1008
by Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I need to get better at meal planning.

Quoting MissyB1011:

We do this for many items. It takes the stress out of meal planning and prepping.

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I try to buy in bulk and you're so right.  The key is immediate preparation when you get home from the store.  I hate it when I don't do that and end up throwing away spoiled food!

MommeeTo4
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM
I have 0 room to buy in bulk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN