Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

how do I address this?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM
  • 13 Replies
Tonight my 6 1/2 year old son asked me to start his bath. I agreed and started his bath. I walked out of the bathroom and went to finish putting the dishes in the dishwasher. He called me back to ask me if I'd help him wash his hair. Normally he does but tonight for whatever reason he wanted me to. I agreed and went back to the bathroom to wash his hair. I grab the shampoo and lean over the tub to wet his hair. I noticed him very intently watch the water. I asked him to put his head up and he was still intently looking down at the water. I look to see what is his big deal and I can see him flexing his pee pee and rubbing the tip of it. I told him that was inapporiate and to stop or mommy will not wash your hair. He giggles and flexes his pee pee again. I put the soap down and went into the kitchen to ask dh to wash our son's hair. I explained what he did and dh said he'd have a talk with Gage. Dh walked in and our son was fondling himself. Is that normal for a six year old? Should I be concerned. We've had the good touch bad touch talk a few times before. I've explained how touch other's or allowing other's to touch you is unexceptable. The things I go through leaving in a house with 4 boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pegleg63
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM

This is normal for a boy that age.  Dad should have a talk with him though and explain that it's not something you do with others watching.

2wardgirls
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
It's normal boy or girl but agree with pp explain it's done in private.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3Dani75
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 8:18 PM

lol,,,It's completely normal for a child to find their body parts fascinating. My little brother (he's 23 now) woke up with an erection when he was around that age...he was punching himself to get it to go down, had to tell him to go to the bathroom to go pee and it would go away. He did and then asked why it was like that, just told him it was full of pee from sleeping all night. I still pick on him about it. Dad needs to have a talk with him about where and when it's appropriate to touch that part of his body, and it's not when mom is around. Good luck!

Kageegirl
by Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
I wasn't upset. I actually had to walk out of the room to keep from giggling. I knew with having boys I'd run into moments like these. I was a little like, "what the heck." It's one thing to do it in private but not in front of other people knowingly. Dh did talk to him about his pee pee belonging to him not others. That being curious about your body is ok. What's not ok is how you deal with it. Touching yourself in front of others is not okay and allowing others to touch you is not okay. Also touching others is not okay. He said our son was okay with that. That he understood what dh was talking about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I agree with pp..

starreyedcutie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Oh the joys of raising boys lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Normal...I agree with everyone on having the talk...

Its.me.Sam.
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

totally normal.  dont make him feel ashamed.  explain to him whats happening and remind him that that stuff is private and not to be shared with everyone lol

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:48 AM
get a book on boys, mama. this is totally normal....ignore it, tell him that something you do it private....just don't make him ashamed of his body. He called you in to see his new "trick" he learned. This is such a small deal, it's hardly worth your stress.
OliviasMommy611
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Glad I don't have any boys! Lol normal though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN