Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Woman Who Wants to Marry a Dead Man Makes Perfect Sense

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM
  • 8 Replies

Woman Who Wants to Marry a Dead Man Makes Perfect Sense

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on March 28, 2012 at 10:50 AM

The period of time between an engagement and a marriage is an odd time. For all intents and purposes, the couple is family. They think of their future and they HAVE made a commitment to that future. But they are not yet legally recognized. For some, this can have tragic consequences.

In France, one such story happened recently when the pregnant fiance of a French soldier who was killed by a terrorist applied to marry him posthumously. This is apparently something that has happened before in France and when it does, the ceremony is something to make you cry for a week. An empty chair represents the deceased fiance.

It is beautiful. It is somber. It is 100 percent understandable.

As a pregnant woman, presumably with his child, why wouldn't she want legal recognition for her loss? As his fiance, she is no better legally than a girlfriend.

We saw this so much after 9/11. There were women who were engaged to marry men who were left bereft by their losses but who had no legal claim to their role. A woman who is married has a name -- widow. A woman who is not has nothing but her memories.

It is a tribute to that love and to what it meant to this woman that she still wants to go through with the wedding. It is not surprising in any way. But it is heartbreaking and meaningful.

Something like this should make us all look at our spouses differently. Every day in the past, present, and future is a gift. We are lucky to have them.

My heart breaks for this woman and she deserves her wedding and she deserves to be called a "widow." After all, that is what she is.

Do you think this makes sense?

by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM

It makes sense but not sure if it's something that I would do.

aMarieT
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

i understand, but it's heart breaking

DeniseGibson
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM
bump

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Definitely interesting.

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I get it.  Especially when their death is unexpected.  It's sad though.

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Thats so sad :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM

It is sad.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM
It makes perfect sense.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)