Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Living Car-Free In The City

Technically we aren't car-free, we're more like car-light.  We do own a car that my partner uses for work - and we do take advantage of it for larger outings on the weekend.  Still, my day to day reality at home with Leo, our toddler, is without a car.  My partner leaves for work as we are beginning our day and doesn't return home until a couple hours before Leo's bedtime.  So we spend our days without a car - and for the most part, we don't miss it. 

Knowing we were going to be without a car for the most part was a major factor in choosing to live in an urban area.  Not having a car would be a lot harder if we couldn't walk to coffee shops, grocery stores, playgrounds, libraries, restaurants, a post office, and a several types of public transportation.  

What are my favorite benefits of being car-light?

1. I get a lot more exercise
  2. I support more local businesses
  3. I really get to know my neighbors as we are out and about in our neighborhood
  4. It's great for the environment
  5. It saves money
  6. I think it's a great example to set for our kids

Is it a bit more challenging sometimes?  Absolutely, but it is worth the extra hassle.  Here are some of my best tips for going car-free; even if just a few days a week.

• Plan your route.  Try and make a circle to loop back home - and try and schedule errands that require carrying heavy things - like the library, post office, or groceries - for first or last (depending if you are picking up or dropping off). 
  • Pack a fantastic diaper bag.  Snacks, umbrella, water, and a change of clothes accompany the typical diapers and wipes in our bag.  You do not want to get stranded across the city without a key item.
  • Invest in a light stroller with some undercarriage storage, a good carrier and/or in some reusable bags that zip-up small to throw in the diaper bag.  For most of Leo's life I primarily wore him in a carrier and resigned myself to being a glorified pack-mule on library/grocery days.  Now that he's over 25 lbs and I've got a third trimester belly brewing I am using the stroller more and more - which has been nice for holding the diaper bag and items we pick up along the way - but I do miss the ease of wearing him.
  • Explore public transit.  When trying a new route either allow yourself plenty of time or test it out without a hard timeline (like an appointment you can't be late for).  Make sure to walk around near the transit stops - it's a great way to discover new areas of your city.
  • Invest in some good walking shoes and cold weather gear.  Both you and your little one(s) need to stay warm in colder weather and if your feet are going to be the main transportation - they deserve to be comfy!

How much do you rely on your car?  Do you live in a walkable area? 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
copperswifey
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM

When the weather is nice we do walk to Walgreens or Piggly Wiggly. If we have to do major grocery shopping or clothes shopping we have to drive. Everything is in another town which which is 20 miles away, so it's too far to walk to. :)

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM

interesting!

KaylaMillar
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM

we rely on our car a lot. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM
We need our car to go most paces but I walk a lot in the summer to do activities in town.
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I 100% rely on my car but my dh from England Never had a car until he moved to America. There is just no need for 1 there which is interesting and saves alot of money, Wish it was like that here.

alliesmom112
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM

we live out in the county and while we are fairly close to every thing we have to have a car to get around.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Dh and I were just talking about this the other day. I would go stir crazy without a vehicle. Dh needs a truck for our business and our family of 6 wont fit. So we have an expedition. Plus we have no access to public transportation and live 15 mins from their schools driving, they.do ride bus but what if they get sick. Any major store and drs offices are 10mins away. My parents live 45 mins away. I would never visit them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I rely on my car ALOT because I have to take my Stepson to school every other week for the whole week and the days that I babysit I have to go get that little boy from school and the distances from my house to each of these places just aren't walkable.  Plus it would be kinda hard to go grocery shopping without my car.

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Sounds interesting

Cafe AmyB
Win a $2000 gift card!
Monday at 2:28 PM
Summer #Fridgeworthy Moments Challenge! Enter to Win BIG Prizes! - CafeMom

Show us your kidsâ most remarkable summer moments! From arts and crafts masterpieces and giant sandcastles to epic wa

by Head Admin on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

We don't live in a walkable area. I really wish we did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)