Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I spent the majority of my adolescence and early adulthood morbidly obese, inactive, and very very out of shape. I'm 31 now, with two small kids, sit on my butt 50 hours a week editing for a worldwide publishing company and am in the best shape of my life. Of course, I love what I do for fitness (CrossFit) and it has changed my life, but the reality is that there's no "magic pill" for weight loss, health, and fitness. It's about trying new things, failing, trying again, failing better, trying again.

Part of what made me decide to finally be the victor in the battle was my kids. How can I expect my daughter to grow up with a strong sense of self-worth and understanding of what a healthy woman is if I don't SHOW her? How can I expect my son to learn to cook healthy food for himself if I don't TEACH him what healthy food is?

I know we all have excuses: we're tired, we're too out of shape, we're broke, etc. But there's a whole lot you could do to show your kids that health and wellness is important without much time or money. We only have one life - one body - and if we don't fuel it well and work it properly, it will fail. That's the lesson I want my children to learn. Not to be skinny. Not to be buff. But to be healthy and fit and with that, happy.

So I take my daughter with me to my Crossfit gym in the afternoons. She watches me deadlift 265 pounds, swing a 55-pound kettlebell over my head, do pullups, pushups, push-press heavy weights over my head. Kids see and understand way more than we give them credit for. She sees me being a strong woman and, in turn, wants to be one too.

I'm not saying you need to do the things I choose to do - everyone's fitness passion and goals are their own - but doing something, anything, shows your children that you care about your body. And that's a gift that will have lifelong benefits.

Maybe you could do a workout DVD or an on-demand video with your toddler using soup cans. Or when you see a big hill on your walk, offer to race them to the top. What if you climbed the monkey bars with them?

For all of us who has a kid who's repeated a naughty word at just the right time, we all know that our kids watch us. They are the ultimate mimics. The best way to teach them that being healthy and fit is important is to work for it yourself and get them involved. The same goes for any negative self-talk. In our house "fat" and "skinny" are bad words. We don't use them to describe people, especially ourselves. I want my children's sense of self-worth to come from who they are as people and their accomplishments,  so we try very hard not to use those kinds of labels.

What are some ways - no matter your budget or life situation - that you focus on health and fitness and get your kids involved? What more would you like to do? Are you cognizant about how you speak about yourself and your body around your children, especially your daughters?

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Quoting Kmakksmom:

We have a Wii and an Xbox 360 with quite a few fitness "games".  We also love to take walks.  I would love to be able to go to a gym but the costs for memberships around here are crazy.  I am aware of how I talk about myself when I'm around my kids.

We have a Wii and Wii fit but I never use it anymore:(
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Well, this is an area I need to improve in....I don't exercise a lot....besides walking to the quick store in our neighborhood every so often.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 31, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I like what we do. We all try to eat healthy, more fruits and veggies, and we all do the elliptical.

suziejax
by Member on Mar. 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM

they see me drink more water and eat more veggies to and I have them do it,,, it worksbetter when I live it in front of them ,,, keeping it real lol

suziejax
by Member on Mar. 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I wish I had one of those!

Quoting goddess99:

I like what we do. We all try to eat healthy, more fruits and veggies, and we all do the elliptical.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I love mine, bought it years ago on clearance. It was the exact same one I had been using at the gym, so I know it will last.

Quoting suziejax:

I wish I had one of those!

Quoting goddess99:

MamaMandee
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Quoting Charizma77:

Quoting Kmakksmom:

We have a Wii and an Xbox 360 with quite a few fitness "games".  We also love to take walks.  I would love to be able to go to a gym but the costs for memberships around here are crazy.  I am aware of how I talk about myself when I'm around my kids.

We have a Wii and Wii fit but I never use it anymore:(

Have you checked out the Just Dance games? There are tons of good songs and it is so much fun!! 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Quoting MamaMandee:

I haven't, my mom has one and likes iit..I'll have to check it out next time we visit.
millerbunch
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 3:56 PM

my kids love that game..

i have seen them play it at friends houses.. i would love to get it for the Wii.

Quoting MamaMandee:

The Just Dance games (for Wii & Xbox) are such a fun work out to do with your kids ....and best part is because it is so much fun no one realizes (including yourself) what a great work out until you are done & feel it! 

millerbunch
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 3:57 PM

wow!  that's fantastic!  i bet she's feeling awesome :)

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting MamaMandee:

The Just Dance games (for Wii & Xbox) are such a fun work out to do with your kids ....and best part is because it is so much fun no one realizes (including yourself) what a great work out until you are done & feel it! 

My neice is 9 and over weight , so my sister got a bunch of dance xbox games...and in a month my neice lost 10 lbs. I am sooo happy !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN