Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 5 year old told me she hated me the other night :_(

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM
  • 8 Replies

I know shes only 5 and doesnt mean it, but i was helping my bf with his homework for college (which is a new thing so maybe she feels left out?) But she was playing with a loud toy and i told her to please play with it in her room because im trying to help michael. She went in her room and was fine with it, but when i went in there she was just sitting on her bed with the toy in hand and i said "what are you doing?" shes like "everybody just hates me!" I said "omg no they dont why would you say that? everybody loves you silly" and she threw her toy (which i just bought!) and i told her what the heck dont do that! and shes like "Well i just hate you!"

It was sooo awful and my friends say "oh yah its a stage" like their kids say it all the time? jesus, ive never heard her say the word hate before in my life! expecially to me! Her dad says shes never said it to him, and i know shes never said it to my bf they are great buddies..why me?? we are so close and i snuggle on her all the time and read books every night, and buy her toys alot!  Boooo!

:_(

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Maybe she was just feeling left out, because of the homework. I would just talk to her about what hate really means, because she may not know, and just say it's never nice to tell someone you hate them.

not-the-momma
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Lots of kids do it, I even did it to my Mom (but that was in a teenage rage).  I'll never forget what my Mom said to me, "You don't have to like me, I'm your Mother, not your friend."  I never said it again.    Of course DD doesn't mean it, she just did it to push buttons to try to get what she wanted, attention.  Also the reason she might do it to you instead of her Dad or your BF is because she feels safe with you (or maybe she just hasn't gotten around to them yet).  My skids have said it to DH lots of times but I think they were afraid to say it to BM because she left them and see her love as conditional.  They know Dad will always love them no matter what they do/say.  I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

snuggiewoogie
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I have gotten that a couple of times. It makes you feel really bad inside! Don't worry there will be lots of better days ahead :)

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM
I always tell my 5 year old that I love him anyway but hate isn't a nice word.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3brown1blue
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM
My son hasn't said that yet but he said that he wishes someone would adopt him. I had a few tears in my eyes. All because he was upset...I don't even remember what he was upset about
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Quoting jltplk25:

I always tell my 5 year old that I love him anyway but hate isn't a nice word.

delanna6two
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
Yesterday at 5:06 PM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Mine will tell me nobody likes her or she does not like me any more when she gets really upset....It's her way of expressing her mad....it passes....

She still loves you....

hello_kitty25
by Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM

You know whats funny girls, a friend at work who has no kids or much experience with them said "I think she says i hate you because she doesnt know any other terms except love and hate, wheres she could have said she was just frustrated right now, she blurts out, i hate you! when she really doesnt. just doesnt know how to word her feelings very well yet" Omg made me feel so much better, because shes totally right! whos ever heard their 5 year old say "im just feeling indifferent today mom! give me space!" lol

Thanks for all the hugs ladies, i felt like crap the other day! Feeling much better now i know im not the only mom whos dd "hates" her. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN