Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Cabin Fever and the Little Ones

Posted by   + Show Post

Randomly, on Sunday night, my four year old asked for "noodles". Well, specifically, he asked, "Momma, why haven't you bought stuff to make nooooooodles?" I thought it was odd because he hasn't asked for "noodles" (my homemade stroganoff) for some time.

By Monday evening, it became evident that "noodles" are his sick-comfort food. And we were in for a long week. BRING ON THE NOODLES.

A week of sick kids is exhausting under the BEST of circumstances. Add in the fact that Hush, Momma's trying to work, honey and it just gets .. worse than exhausting? Awful? Really, really terrible? Enough to make me contemplate running away for just one night's sleep in a hotel with no feverish children clinging to me and no husband sawing logs in my ear because OH RIGHT, NOW HE'S SICK TOO?

Ahem.

What I'm trying to say here is that it's been a long week. It was last week, actually, and we realized that The Flu was the culprit, and then my husband was felled by it too, and I've been trying to put on my happy face and pretend that I'm not sick, because I just don't have that kind of luxury at work this week.

So we've been trying to enjoy the SUDDEN DELUGE of in-your-face family time. Here's how we've managed.

Board games. Oh, the joy of board games. Since the ages in our house range from 4 - 40, it can be challenging finding a board game that all of us can participate in. Curious George's I Can Do That games are pretty awesome for the younger set .. we have Discovery Beach and it's fun for everyone. Also, there's a version of the classic board game Sorry, but with Sliders. Oh, man, you can't go wrong with board games that model themselves after curling.

Big Ole Family Naps. I am a huge fan of family naps. I love nothing more than to pull quilts, couch cushions, sleeping bags, and the like into the living room floor, have everyone bring their pillow and lovey, and everyone sleep. That is just the best. (Secret: when all the boys have konked out, I sneak away and go sleep in the luxury that is MY BED ALL ALONE.)

Dollar Store Crafts. It has always tickled me how excited the boys get over crafts. Where as I always hesitate to pick them up - will they think this is stupid? too silly? - I have never regretted bringing it out for them to do. Anything from stained glass sets to watercolors to clay ... the boys LOVE doing hands-on crafts.

Sick Food Bonanzas. Everyone has a food that they prefer when they're sick. (Mine is chicken panang, extra spicy, with a cup of coconut soup.)(My husband's is pancakes.) And sometimes, when you're sick, it just HELPS to indulge in that. Ask everyone to make a list of two of their comfort foods - and leave no restrictions! anything goes! YOU'RE SICK! - and just have them out. Literally, JUDGE IF YOU MUST, but our Comfort Food Buffet was something of legend.

We're almost recovered now - I'm the lone sickie, which is probably because I don't actually get to be sick - and I am SO looking forward to the day when I can clear the house of the mountains of junk food, half-done popsicle stick birdhouses, and stray quilts. But when it comes down to it, even with everyone ill, it was a house feverish with love.

What's your family's go-to sick-day activity?

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-56):
elijahsmama09
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

WHat would I do? Nap, nap, and take some more naps. LOL. I dont get that luxury though as a SAHM.

Samanthamommy
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Board games

Samanthamommy
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Naps! Or snuggling down to watch movies. =)

LancesMom
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

The original words with friends. Scrabble! =)

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

They lay down drink ginger ale or power-aide. Eat soup or whatever they want if they aren't throwing up.

LancesMom
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Quoting Janet:

They lay down drink ginger ale or power-aide. Eat soup or whatever they want if they aren't throwing up.

Yeah we do that too! If we can get up and play games we do. But usually its soup and staying in bed! We like ginger ale too though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN