Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Young kids stealing...Help!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have 2 very young boys age 6 and 8 who LOVE to steal. I have tried talking to them about stealing like why it's very bad to steal and what the consequences can be when they get older, spankings, grounding, time-out. Nothing seems to work . I have caught them with the stolen items a few times while we were still at the store, and have made them go to the manager on duty to give it back to them. Still doesn't phase them any. Even 'patting-them-down' AT the store doesn't work either. ANy suggestions? I don't want them to grow up and be like their father (who btw is not with me anymore, left him when my boys were a few years old) Their father just recently had a talk with my boys and told them that it is a very bad thing to do and that he knows because he did that when he was younger and he went to jail... and so on. Some help would be great appreciated!!

by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Sounds like you've done a lot of the usual help actions for this....I'm not sure myself.  Here is a google link with many websites with help info for addressing this problem.

http://www.google.com/search?q=tips+on+keeping+kids+from+stealing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

crystalplus1
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Call the cops on them. Sounds crazy, but it worked with my uncle.

jonnlilithsmom
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

if it happens again, have the store call the police

beyond that, I have to suggest that you stop bringing them with you into the stores they are stealing from...
if they aren't learning the lesson, it seems to me that you need to make it so they CAN'T steal... going shopping isn't a right... it isn't something they need to do... take it away from them until they do learn the lesson

achurnick
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jonnlilithsmom:

if it happens again, have the store call the police

beyond that, I have to suggest that you stop bringing them with you into the stores they are stealing from...
if they aren't learning the lesson, it seems to me that you need to make it so they CAN'T steal... going shopping isn't a right... it isn't something they need to do... take it away from them until they do learn the lesson

I have limited my kids on going to the store with me as much as I can. I am not able  completely stop taking them to the store because I am a single mother and don't have any one trustworthy I can leave my kids with.

jonnlilithsmom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

you have to do what you have to do... I totally get that... I'm a single mom too  :)

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Call the police on them. Let them get caught. Maybe they just need to get caught by an authority figure. A store manager isn't that scary. Also, it could be that they're stealing for attention. Especially if they know they're going to get caught. My sister is a huge thief. And she's even teaching her DD to do it (that's a whole 'nother story). Nothing my mom ever did stopped her, she's even been arrested and sat jail time for it. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd went through a phase like this but just at school..thankfully! And it was stupid small things like an eraser, I mean really? She gets in trouble for taking another little girl's eraser..? ugh! But anyway I took a drastic approach and had her watch a prison fight I found online. Ok this was actually aired on local news so it wasn't too bad but it was scary to see, especially for kids. So I told her if she doesn't stop stealing someone with eventually call the police and she will go to jail and this is what happens in jail and I rolled the video. Part way through she turned her head and couldn't watch it. Never really had the problem since lol.

achurnick
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM

So glad to hear that what you did stopped ur dd from stealing. I have been doing something like that as well with my boys. Just yesterday I came across a show on tv called Jail. I made both of my boys sit down and watch the whole thing and asked questions about the show to make sure they were watching, listening and understanding what was going on. I have both of them in In-Home counseling right now so the counselor will be working with them to try and get the stealing to stop.

Quoting goddess99:

My dd went through a phase like this but just at school..thankfully! And it was stupid small things like an eraser, I mean really? She gets in trouble for taking another little girl's eraser..? ugh! But anyway I took a drastic approach and had her watch a prison fight I found online. Ok this was actually aired on local news so it wasn't too bad but it was scary to see, especially for kids. So I told her if she doesn't stop stealing someone with eventually call the police and she will go to jail and this is what happens in jail and I rolled the video. Part way through she turned her head and couldn't watch it. Never really had the problem since lol.

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Good luck! I hope something finally clicks with them.

Quoting achurnick:

So glad to hear that what you did stopped ur dd from stealing. I have been doing something like that as well with my boys. Just yesterday I came across a show on tv called Jail. I made both of my boys sit down and watch the whole thing and asked questions about the show to make sure they were watching, listening and understanding what was going on. I have both of them in In-Home counseling right now so the counselor will be working with them to try and get the stealing to stop.

Quoting goddess99:

loriloct18
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM
I just read this. I was having issues with my DS7. Not old taking things from school but friends house and even once money out of my purse. The money was the last straw. I had already taken him myself to the police station and (unfortunately juvenile here won't mess with kids till they are 10 or else DS would have done a walk through). But what I done is took one thing from his room. I took something I KNEW he would notice was missing (this case it was a tablet he had got for Christmas). So when he got home from school I tol him to clean his room. Of course he asked where it was! I lied to him and told him I didn't know but it HAD to be found (I hid it in my room). All day he looked and was crying that it was lost. So I walked trough where it was the last time he seen it. And had him try to figure out where it went. Finally at the end of the day before bed I asked him how he felt about "loosing his tablet", if someone would steal it (and not take anything else), and who would steal it since no one has been in our house besides those who lived here. Finally I told him that I lied to him and I was the one who took his tablet. I asked how he felt that I was stealing from him, pretty much threw all the questions at him about how it felt or his feelings toward me after. Then I made sure he knew that how he felt toward me and about someone stealing his stuff is exactly how he makes others feel when he takes things. Since than we have had no issues with lying or stealing *let me knock on some wood to not jinx it*.

Maybe this will work.? I never had issues of stealing from a store, but it could work just the same. I found out my DS reason is because he knows money is tight and he didn't want to ask me for something when he knows we don't really have the extra cash ATM. So it was I see something I want, don't want to ask mom to buy it, so maybe I will hide it in my pocket and take it home than when it's home I'm ok and no trouble.

Good Luck I hope you find a solution to help!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)