Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

On My Deal Breakers

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

I've spoken a lot here about how my husband and I work to strike a reasonable balance in terms of the foods our kids eat. We do what we can to make good, healthy - yet relatively fun - options available to them, in a convenient way, but at the same time don't fall to pieces, rending our garments, if they occasionally have some M & M's, or donut holes. My philosophy, generally, is that if I make this big, dramatic deal about this kind of stuff, it'll only make it more alluring. It is, essentially, the Bad Boy Principle, made popular by The Fonz, as well as George Costanza, in that Seinfeld episode from a thousand years ago. Essentially, what I want to avoid is a situation wherein Those M & M's are wearing wee metaphorical leather jackets, revving their tiny metaphorical motorcycles in front of my house.

Before I fall down a rabbit hole of potential new band names (the first one being The Metaphorical Motorcycles), I did want to admit to the fact that despite the above, I do have a few deal breakers. You know, those foods that, try as I might, I just can't handle, and - unlike The Fonz - about which I am totally not cool:

Any sort of sour spray/liquid-type candy -- Why does this exist? Is it solely to ruin my life? My kids recently got this sour candy spray stuff in a holiday basket. It is literally liquid sugar, with what is undoubtedly some extreme cavity- accelerating sour power thrown in for good measure.  Obviously, my kids thought it was the best thing they had ever seen in their lives, and occasionally ask me what happened to it. (What happened to it was that I had to create a diversion involving some sort of jig, in order to toss this into the trash.)

Lollipops the size of one's head - I am actually sort of okay with lollipops, since I may have tricked myself into believing that the ones I let my kids have (those HFCS-free Trader Joe's pops made from fruit) are, if not HEALTHY, at least not the worst candy treat in the world. (See above for that.) Every now and then, however, a lightsaber and/or human head-sized swirly-whirly lollipop finds its way into my house. Everything gets sticky, including my ceilings, somehow, and these pops! What is it about them? They. Never. Get. Smaller. Never again!

Cotton candy and gumballs - No.

What about you? What are your food "deal breakers" for your kids?

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wish2Be
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:51 AM

My son likes chips. :(

DH eats chips or some kind of snack everyday after work. So usually DS and I sit on the couch with DH mere minutes from entering our front door and have a snack. I allow it even though I shouldnt.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I would have to say those Kids Cuisines are pretty sensless.  You can cook up your kid(s) a whole lot healthier meal than what are in those.

dusky_rose
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I agree on those big lollipops, they never get smaller! What is up with that? I don't give my youngest son jaw breakers either because thats pure sugar and a choking hazard.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I have a ban on pixi stix. There's nothing like dumping sugar right down your throat....no thanks!
carolina_gal
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Marshmallows. I think they're a choking hazzard.

carolina_gal
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Haha.  So true.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

I have a ban on pixi stix. There's nothing like dumping sugar right down your throat....no thanks!

LOswald0314
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Agree!

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

I would have to say those Kids Cuisines are pretty sensless.  You can cook up your kid(s) a whole lot healthier meal than what are in those.

LOswald0314
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM

All of the above.  Plus anything that's basically straight sugar.   My mom got my 2 year old Dip Stix the other day...I didn't even know they made those anymore!

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Those things that are straight sugar and anything red are NOs. Luckily my dd doesn't really like candy so it's not too bad here.

Kmakksmom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM

^^I have to agree with all of the above.^^

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN