Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I've spoken a lot here about how my husband and I work to strike a reasonable balance in terms of the foods our kids eat. We do what we can to make good, healthy - yet relatively fun - options available to them, in a convenient way, but at the same time don't fall to pieces, rending our garments, if they occasionally have some M & M's, or donut holes. My philosophy, generally, is that if I make this big, dramatic deal about this kind of stuff, it'll only make it more alluring. It is, essentially, the Bad Boy Principle, made popular by The Fonz, as well as George Costanza, in that Seinfeld episode from a thousand years ago. Essentially, what I want to avoid is a situation wherein Those M & M's are wearing wee metaphorical leather jackets, revving their tiny metaphorical motorcycles in front of my house.

Before I fall down a rabbit hole of potential new band names (the first one being The Metaphorical Motorcycles), I did want to admit to the fact that despite the above, I do have a few deal breakers. You know, those foods that, try as I might, I just can't handle, and - unlike The Fonz - about which I am totally not cool:

Any sort of sour spray/liquid-type candy -- Why does this exist? Is it solely to ruin my life? My kids recently got this sour candy spray stuff in a holiday basket. It is literally liquid sugar, with what is undoubtedly some extreme cavity- accelerating sour power thrown in for good measure.  Obviously, my kids thought it was the best thing they had ever seen in their lives, and occasionally ask me what happened to it. (What happened to it was that I had to create a diversion involving some sort of jig, in order to toss this into the trash.)

Lollipops the size of one's head - I am actually sort of okay with lollipops, since I may have tricked myself into believing that the ones I let my kids have (those HFCS-free Trader Joe's pops made from fruit) are, if not HEALTHY, at least not the worst candy treat in the world. (See above for that.) Every now and then, however, a lightsaber and/or human head-sized swirly-whirly lollipop finds its way into my house. Everything gets sticky, including my ceilings, somehow, and these pops! What is it about them? They. Never. Get. Smaller. Never again!

Cotton candy and gumballs - No.

What about you? What are your food "deal breakers" for your kids?

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
daerca574
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I remember eating these when we were kids, and they were just so yummy.  Nowadays, they are so greasy and taste different.  I don't care for them much.

Quoting Kainalu55:

true! but cheetos are tasty!! :-)

Quoting Bmat:

Good point.  I don't know why these are still made, they are so messy.

Quoting daerca574:

no cheetos!  I hate th eorange residue that gets left on my walls, furniture, and my kids clothes.  Ugh!!!

LuLuRex
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

My kids are still young so it's easy to keep them from eating things I'm not a fan of. I don't have junk food or candy in my house.

Deal breakers for me are gum and pretty much most candy. I also don't like them eating fruit snacks. The only time my son gets them is if they are in goodie bags.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Oh I am with you on all of the above sister!!!

Why my parents felt it was necessary to buy my boys a jawbraker the size of my sons fist, on a stick while we were at DisneyWorld is beyond me.Tired from a long day in the parks and wired on candy does NOT for a pleasant vacation make.

Cotton candy in ones hair, regardless how short, is not fun.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM

We are also pretty picky as far as candy.Nothing too hard and no pixie sticks

elijahsmama09
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Nothing is off limits. He is 3, and has all his teeth. I am not worried about sugar...I think some of you are forgetting what a thrill it is to be a kid. I am not saying he can have candy every day, but some once in a while is not going to hurt him, and no going to ruin his teeth(I do make him brush his teeth though after candy).

Samanthamommy
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I agree with most. But I have to go with what Mrs.Pool2Be said, the Kids Cuisines. 

amonkeymom
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

"My philosophy, generally, is that if I make this big, dramatic deal about this kind of stuff, it'll only make it more alluring."

That statement is SO true! 

Like you, I don't go for the spray candies or powdered candies or huge gigantic things.  I believe in moderation and I don't feel that King Size anything is necessary.

LancesMom
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I wouldn't give him suckers. Mostly because he was constantly on the move.

mamivon2
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM

not sure.. Frosted Flakes maybe and popsicles

Rushn311
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Gigantic suckers I don't even bother with or jaw breakers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN