Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What do you do when someone else's kid CRAVES YOUR attention and your attention alone at the playground?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM
  • 3 Replies

So I took my girls, 4 (next month) and 1 to see the Easter Bunny today and get pics... then while at the mall we passed a "little kid" play area, so 4y/o was super stoked about it so I let her & 1y/o play and burn some energy. While we were there, another mama came in with an older boy, maybe around 7, and his younger brother, maybe about 2 or 3. At the time my girls were playing in this log thingy and pretending it was their "house". Almost IMMEDIATELY the boy came over and he started telling me this very colorful story, like he was playing pretend, that there was a "HORRIBLE HURRICANE WITH TORNADOES" in his words, and it just took out their house. (I think he had watched too much footage recently of that Tornado in TX). I thought, "wow... ok" so I went along with it and said "OH no!! But is this part safe over here?" and he said "NO, the tornado is going right for it!!" and it turned into this VERY DETAILED, colorful pretend play with him ending up as the "reporter" on the news live in the midst of it talking about it, but he would not play with the kids, he'd only play with me. Sometimes my 4 y/o would join in and say how the tornado was going over here & there, & he'd go, "no it's not". And she'd look at me funny, and I just don't know what to say. A couple of times his mom said "Honey, maybe she wants to play with her girls..." but he ignored her. Then later she said "He's my little conversationalist". I smiled like, "No biggie", but I was thinking, "No kidding!" He was absolutely HOGGING my attention, it was as if he gets no attention at home AT ALL but I could tell his mom wasn't like that, she looked involved and sweet, and these boys didn't look like neglected roughnecks. It got to the point where I was hanging around my baby making sure she didn't toddle & fall over something and hurt herself, but he was literally taking my hand and trying to draw me away to another area of the playground. I finally drew the line and said "Honey, I can play, I can hear you, but I have to watch my baby and make sure she doesn't fall". So he'd back off but 3 minutes later he was doing it again. I didn't feel comfortable with someone else's kid whom I don't know grabbing my hand to run off with me somewhere, when I didn't even know the mother OR the children. It got to the point where like 30 minutes had gone by and he was constantly in my face with this dramatic story and my 4 y/o and I didn't even get to play that much, all my attention was forced to him. And I mean FORCED. At one point my baby climbed up on a dangerous area and stood up and started dancing, I was afraid she'd lose her footing so I was going towards her and I swear he was blocking me on purpose. He got in between us and if I moved left, he moved left. If I moved right, he moved right. HE WOULDN'T LET ME GET BY!! Finally I gently moved him aside and said "Excuse me, I have to get to my baby." It was creepy and ridiculous. I am uncomfortable with the whole situation but most of all disappointed I didn't get to play with my girls. I just didn't know how to get him to go away, I tried every polite thing in the book. :\  What would you do? What do you think of this?

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

lol he kind of sounds like my dd but she's an arguer and gets bored easy so she would have argued you into the ground for about 5 minutes then took off to play. Some kids are just talkers, there's nothing you can do. I'm sure the mom was just happy to get a break. I know her pain lol.

MamaLisa1976
by Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I figured that and that's why I kept on with it but it did make me uncomfortable when he started the taking my hand and pulling me stuff. :)

Quoting goddess99:

lol he kind of sounds like my dd but she's an arguer and gets bored easy so she would have argued you into the ground for about 5 minutes then took off to play. Some kids are just talkers, there's nothing you can do. I'm sure the mom was just happy to get a break. I know her pain lol.

chellenout
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM

yikes........scary. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN