Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Teaching made easier.

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM
  • 5 Replies

So I'm trying to become a better parent with everything from discipline to teaching my son. And now that I'm house mom I was wondering if anybody can give me advice on ways to prepare him for kindergarten. His birthday is late so he wouldn't start school til he is 6 so I want him to be able to start school on time when he 5. The elementary he will be going to gives test at the school to place him in to school due ot late birthdays. I tried looking up lesson plans but no luck. What is he suppose to know when he starts kindergarten? Someone help please!

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Vikki77
by Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:03 AM
You should be able to google search the standards for your state. I don't really know, but my guess would be the alphabet, and maybe how to write it. Colts, numbers and basic math like adding and subtracting up to 10. I could be way off though, so please double check. But you can get workbooks in walmart for pre-k and work in those. That should help. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:06 AM

every district is different.  I dont know how old he is now, but it might be a good idea to set up a conference with the kindergarten teachers at the school he will be attending and ask them what they want to see.  At ds's school, they dont ask for two much: they want the children to be mentally prepared for school, be able to sit and pay attention for long periods of time, follow directions, identify basic colors, numbers, and to be able to recite the alphabet, with some recognition on sight.  they would also like them to be able to accuratly put the proper sounds to each letter, like a makes an ahh or an a sound etc...I know there is more, but for the teachers here, having the maturity to keep up with the work is the biggest thing.

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:10 PM

My dd could write her ABCs, count to ten in english and spanish, but had trouble cutting out simple shapes (still does ~ she's a lefty) and she was hyper so she started a readiness kindergarten when she was 5. I would just work on the basics and hope.

delanna6two
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
Yesterday at 5:06 PM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

My dd starts this year....I worked with her at home on these things 1st.

ABC's
Numbers 1-10
Shapes
Colors
Name
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM
I'd google your district. My 5 year old is in preschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN