Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

These days so much of our food comes in a pouch/box/can from the store shelf it鈥檚 no wonder some kids don鈥檛 recognize basic fruits and veggies in their unprocessed form.  It鈥檚 important to me that our kids know where their food comes from and how it鈥檚 produced.  Living in a city it does take some deliberate effort to help make those connections.  Here are the ways we try to give a well-rounded view of the food that is served on our table:

路         Shopping at farmers' markets.  Ideally, we like the meet the people who grow our food and make small talk about how crops are looking this season - but even a walk through the produce section at the grocery store or getting a CSA box can spur some conversations about seasonality and new fruits and veggies to try together.

Cooking together.  Seeing the whole process from raw ingredients to a delicious meal helps demystify food.  It also gets kids invested in the meal and much more likely to try new foods.

Visiting farms.  From pumpkin/berry picking to seeing goats and cows - visiting farms (or even a neighbor with a chicken coop) helps make the connection from farm to table.

Growing some edibles in a container garden.  Our second floor apartment doesn't allow me to have my dream raised beds that grow a good chunk of our food - but we do always have some pots in the window with herbs or berries along with some tomatoes on the balcony in the summer. 

Making convenience items from scratch.  We still buy jars of jam and cartons of ice-cream from the store - but we try to make these things on our own from time to time as well.  Whether it's cultivating some yogurt in the crock-pot or baking a loaf of bread - I want our family to think, "I can make that!" when it comes to most of our grocery list.

How do you teach your kids about where their food comes from?  

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
jessicasmom1
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

we do it everyday , DD is now 12 years old and she reads the ingredients in our foods ... but sometimes has a question like tonight I put summer squash ribbons in our spaghetti she asked " why is there cabbage in my sauce" I simply told her it is squash a cousin to zucchini very healthy for her so she said OK then.. Yum...

Kmakksmom
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM

My husband's Grandma has a garden.  She lives right across the street from us, so our kids get a lot of exposure to all of the fruits and veggies that she always has in her garden.

Kainalu55
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 4:44 AM
She knows where meats, fruits and veggies come from
daerca574
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:11 AM

We grow alot of our own fruits and veggies.  They help us in the garden.

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I talk about it and we have some farms around here

Wish2Be
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Usually if I can just get something on his lip...he will taste it...and maybe like it. Once he likes it then he wants to know what it is and where it comes from. :)

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

We talked about it a little but not a lot. I guess we should do that.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Our grandparents have a garden too,the kids are not to interested in it though lol

Quoting Kmakksmom:

My husband's Grandma has a garden.  She lives right across the street from us, so our kids get a lot of exposure to all of the fruits and veggies that she always has in her garden.

gacgbaker
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

We just talk about it a lot, and tour factories and farms as we can.  

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Something I would need to work on too....my youngest is really interested in the sections in the store as we walk through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)