Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Last week, we spoke about our food "deal breakers" the stuff that we absolutely cannot abide, when it comes to our kids. I loved reading your comments, as well! Since we're in such a sharing mood, I thought I would share a confession, as it relates to food. You see, while we try to stay balanced with regard to the food we have in our house, when I am at work, well, it's a different story.

Perhaps it's rationalization, perhaps it's the hectic workday pace, or some exciting combination of the two, but I find myself eating differently while I'm in the office. I mean, yes, I generally still have a reasonably healthy salad for lunch, but it's just that from around 10 AM onward, I turn into some sort of voracious snackmonster. Chips! These tiny delicious mints! A cookie the size of my head!  AN ACTUAL, LITERAL BARREL OF (HONEY WHEAT) PRETZELS. They are all invited to the party on my desk! Oh, and let's not forget the assorted showers, parties, and birthdays that carry with them a whole host of baked goods, and the occasional ice cream cake. It's a wonder I don't keel over from some sort of sugar shock.

After all that, I then come home and hide my sordid little secret with roasted carrots, and Brussels sprouts, and baked chicken. All of which I really ENJOY, mind you,and absolutely love eating and making, but my guilty conscience kind of weighs on my mind. I don't really worry about my kids being sheltered from junk food, and not knowing how to handle themselves in the real world, or anything like that. (Like I mentioned, we do have some junk in the house.) I just feel this vague sense of remorse, since I tend to eat mayyyyybe on the...not so great side during the day, all the while striving for a real sense of balance at home.

I wonder if any other parents face this. Maybe it's more prevalent for parents like me, who work outside the home (all the easier to hide the guilty-making treats!), but I suppose pretty much any parent, despite the healthy food they put out for their kids, can have their own guilty snacks, when they're kids aren't looking.

What about you? Are you generally consistent in your eating habits, or do you occasionally sneak  something you wouldn't keep in the house/give your kids?

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
KristinRox
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:53 PM

My dh and I do this as well. 

Quoting momkaribg:

If i eat something i dont want to give my kids. I will do it when DH and I go on date nights.

JOIN US ON:

KristinRox
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:53 PM

There are probably more snack foods in my house then there should be. I just think a snack here and there is no big deal. I want them to eat healthy, but I also dont want to deprive them. 

Samanthamommy
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I'm pretty consistant, although I slide into bad habits occasionally.

Samanthamommy

I do this as well, or after the kids go to bed.

Quoting KristinRox:

My dh and I do this as well. 

Quoting momkaribg:

If i eat something i dont want to give my kids. I will do it when DH and I go on date nights.

Samanthamommy

Ahhh cupcakes!

Quoting dixiegurl223626:

cookies and cupcakes are my weakness

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM

For sure I have stuff I wouldn't give the kids. Candy, for example.

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I work from home late at night . . . it's very difficult to resist the call of snacks from the kitchen! 

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Sometimes I lock myself in the room or "take out the trash" and sneak some chocolate. I don't share my ghirardhellis well. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

My eating habits could stand improvement...

elasmimi
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:39 AM

None of us have great eating habits, I admit I eat way too much sugar, and so does my 5 y/o.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)